<videovortex> Pad.ma Update: May 2012

Namita namita at altlawforum.org
Sat May 19 11:14:06 CEST 2012

Apologies for cross posting.

Our video archive Pad.ma (Public Access Digital Media Archive) is now
available in its next iteration. To navigate the new website take the
tour or watch this extremely easy video screencast done by Sanjay
Bhangar.

Tour of Pandora (software framework for Pad.ma): https://pan.do/ra#tour
Video Screencast: http://camputer.org/tmp/screencast_webm/screenCast_ffmpeg_1.webm

Pad.ma is now based on https://pan.do/ra framework that makes it
easier to browse and search video (based on source, keyword, people
featured in video, project/collection, lists, maps, events), to do
time-based annotations, collate personal or public lists, share and
embed video on other websites. This year we will also be expanding
footage in Pad.ma to include the performing arts, cinema history and
documentary footage projects, especially our collaboration with Shared
Footage Group.

Kolar Gold Fields footage
http://pad.ma/grid/title/project==Kolar%20Gold%20Fields%20and%20Mines

This collection of footage tracks 100 years of gold-mining in Kolar
Gold Fields through videos, interviews and photographs. From memories
of days when gold-bearing trams departed from this small town to the
derelict mines of the present, KGF has seen vast changes since early
20th century. The videos are annotated with excerpts from Janaki
Nair's historical mapping of the labour movement, caste and community
in Kolar. The collection is a contribution from Ayisha Abraham and
Janaki Nair, the footage is shot by R.V Ramani and interviews have
been transcribed and translated by Nitya Vasudevan.
You can see a video about the making of gold (http://pad.ma/ACR/player/00:05:30.933,00:05:26,00:13:59.560
), an interview about long history of labour unions in KGF since the
21 day strike in 1930 (http://pad.ma/ACM/player/E) or a Doordarshan
panegyric program on KGF, made in 1981 (http://pad.ma/ACB/player/AC).

THE 377 TRANSCRIPTS: A Brief History of the Naz Foundation Judgement
by Siddharth Narain
http://essays.pad.ma/377-transcripts-brief-history
Judicial reasonings and musings are often inaccessible to anyone
outside the courtroom, especially as proceedings cannot be taped or
shared. This essay is about the Naz Foundation judgment and the
petition against the anti-sodomy penal law in India. It archives the
polemics between lawyers and judges, the asides of official processes
and links these to video testimonies of homophobia and stigma, clips
from movies and footage of pride marches.

Conversation on Dance and Beautiful Thing2
http://pad.ma/grid/title/padmini%20chettur
Padmini Chettur's contemporary dance performance beautiful thing2
explores various ways in which the body becomes unlike itself. Her
performances explore the body as an object in space and her sparse
movements, borne in deliberate slowness, allow the viewer to
viscerally connect with the body's line of flight. This performance is
included here and annotated, including the dancer's comments.

Please write to us and send feedback to pad.ma at pad.ma or to n at pad.ma.
To know more about fellowships, please write to n at pad.ma.

Our updates will consist of newly added videos, essays or annotations.
To see current and past updates online: http://pad.ma/news
To receive the Pad.ma newsletter, send a mail to
padma-announce-subscribe at pad.ma
To unsubscribe from this list, send a mail to
padma-announce-unsubscribe at pad.ma
To view this and previous updates online
http://pad.ma/news