<videovortex> please help and comment on Clipper

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 10 17:18:40 CEST 2015

Just some quick points to make in the light of recent feedback - the system will work with any audio / video collection that uses modern open file formats (e.g. MPEG) and as long as it can resolve through to the actual file location. We have chose 3 YouTube videos for demonstration purposes only - it is not a YouTube-centric system. It is a very early part-working prototype intended to act as a conceptual visualisation aid.  As such it currently works best in a Chrome browser on a desktop / laptop machine. Final versions will work on all device platforms. The Clipper toolkit could be hosted by an existing collection or archive (e.g. lecture videos or folk music audio) to add enhancements to that service. Or it could be a central service that supports users working with a number of different collections

The data that the user generates creating the clips and making notes is currently stored locally in the browser in the demo version. In the final version the data would be stored in an online user account on a server - there would also be scope to 'app' Clipper and use local device storage.

One way of conceptualizing Clipper is that (via HTML5) it supports the user to control the play back of online audio / video by specifying the start and end points as well as adding their own notes and that this 'user generated data' is stored as metadata about the source audio / video and when that is called up in a web browser via a clipper document (native file format of a clipper document is HTML) the end user just sees the clips and notes - that 'point' to the audio / video - so no media files are being moved around  - its just user generated metadata 'playing' in a web browser controlling the source media files. Because the file format of the clipper documents is HTML they are very portable but the user will only ever be able to play the audio / video files they have the rights to access – making it good for complying with copyright and data protection issues. Thus the clipper documents can be owned by the user and the media stays where it is.

The next phase will entail producing a working prototype pointing at different online video collections and allowing the users to store their Clipper data on a server.

Jo