<videovortex> Guillaume Chaslot on YouTube's Recommendation Economy

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 10 19:43:55 CET 2019

https://threader.app/thread/1064527592428986368 <https://threader.app/thread/1064527592428986368>https://threader.app/thread/1094359564559044610 <https://threader.app/thread/1094359564559044610>
YouTube announced they will stop recommending some conspiracy theories such as flat earth.

I worked on the AI that promoted them by the *billions*.

Here is why it’s a historic victory. Thread. 1/

 https://bit.ly/2MMXNGn  <https://bit.ly/2MMXNGn>
Brian is my best friend’s in-law. After his dad died in a motorcycle accident, he became depressed. He fell down the rabbit hole of YouTube conspiracy theories, with flat earth, aliens & co. Now he does not trust anyone. He stopped working, seeing friends, and wanting kids. 2/

Brian spends most of his time watching YouTube, supported by his wife.

For his parents, family and friends, his story is heartbreaking.
But from the point of view of YouTube’s AI, he’s a jackpot.

(..)