<videovortex> please contribute to the next VideoVortex publication!

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 12 16:02:33 CET 2020

Dear all,

VideoVortex in Malta was exciting, the level was high and we were all reminded how dynamic the online video field is, and how special the VV context and community actually is. And alive since 2006!

It was already announced at the very end of the event but now it’s really happening. Andreas Treske <treske at gmail.com> and I are putting together a third VideoVortex reader, this time not inside the INC reader series but as a simpler and cheaper to produce format, inside the Theory on Demand series (https://networkcultures.org/publications/#tod <https://networkcultures.org/publications/#tod>). Precise details about the production details will be announced in a little while. We’ve received already eight essays and they were all very good and the quality convinced us to proceed with the publication and not just to post them as individual pieces on the INC/VV blog.

Hereby a call to anyone of the VideoVortex community to contribute. If you like contact me and/or Andreas first and/or check the first two VideoVortex readers about format and style guide (https://networkcultures.org/blog/publication/video-vortex-2/ <https://networkcultures.org/blog/publication/video-vortex-2/>).

As you know, our topics are broad, emerging and urgent, from YouTube bias algorithms to TikTok, the role of Netflix, the use of video in messaging, the politics of conservation, ISIS videos, indy servers, censorship and ‘moderation’, artist videos, the role of influencers, love and sadness, online video theory in the age of platform capitalism, video as online activism, the rise and rise of streaming, you name it.

All the best and talk soon,

Geert Lovink & Andreas Treske