[WebCultures] Welcome!

MC Cambre mcambre at ualberta.ca
Sat Aug 30 15:35:44 CEST 2014

Hello all,

I am thrilled with the manifestos that people are sharing and I see it as a
very good sign. The main manifestos I have worked in relation to have been
artist ones thus far.

I would also like to thank Michael Stevenson,  and Geert Lovink for getting
this list going. And I would like to thank Rudolf Ammann for his frank
introduction. I too have recently emerged from the not-so-splendid
isolation of thesis work and am currently in the strange isolation of
contract teaching. I look forward to sharing and building collegiality in
the spirit of this list.

By way of introduction, my work is in visual sociology and specifically
image and looking at the social and cultural work of images in general. My
thesis was about the famous image of Che Guevara and I am now starting up a
couple of projects, one on memes where I hope to contest the theories of
online sharing that rely on the contagion model. And the second looks at
identity and community using the self-representation of the group
"anonymous" online. Both projects (I hope) will lead to some theory
building and methodological developments. I will be at the image conference
in Berlin in October where I will test a preliminary transsemiotic model
for analyzing visual discourses online - fun!

Big shout out from Canada to you all,
cc

Carolina Cambre PhD
Assistant Professor, King's University College @ Western University