[WebCultures] grassroots web archiving projects

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Sat Sep 5 20:45:02 CEST 2015

Hi Marcin,

> On Sep 5, 2015, at 5:42 AM, Marcin Wilkowski <m at wilkowski.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to collect information on grassroots web archiving projects -
> web archiving is done not only by national archives or libraries but
> also by organizations and common people. The best example is of course
> the Internet Archive Foundation, but I found also Archive Team
> (archiveteam.org) or the independent archival movement of Occupy Wall
> Street (http://thebrooklynink.com/2011/12/26/39230-the-anarchivists-who-owns-the-occupy-wall-street-narrative/)
>
> Do you know any more similar initiatives?

It’s an interesting question, I would be very interested in what you come up with, if you are able to share it.

A few years ago I wrote a little piece [1] about the grass roots efforts to collect and re-publish content that Jonathan Gillette and Mark Pilgrim pulled offline when they committed "info-suicide" a few years ago.

Also, here are a couple other stories that may be of interest:

* Rhizome (New Museum) have been archiving artists' web content [2].
* Museum of Modern Art in New York has been collecting their own exhibition sites. [3]

Perhaps those stories aren’t grass roots enough. But they aren’t national libraries. I did take the liberty of forwarding your question to a new discussion list that is just getting started up called web-archives [4]. I hope that was ok.

//Ed

[1] http://inkdroid.org/2013/11/26/the-web-as-a-preservation-medium/
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/web-archives/WVzzdpvmjpE
[3] http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2015/05/25/moma-org-turns-20-archiving-two-decades-of-exhibition-sites