[WebCultures] free documentary about the early web: overshare.links.net

Justin Hall justin at links.net
Thu Jul 27 19:36:57 CEST 2017

Hello Web Cultures -

"overshare: the links.net story" is a 40 minute documentary describing
early days sharing personal content on the world wide web. The video and a
wide-range of supporting materials and citations are available freely on
http://overshare.links.net; I hope these materials might be of use to folks
studying this era in human expression: roughly 1994-2015.

I am the producer of this film; I was an overactive online link-maker in
1994 so it's primarily a first person story featuring many primary sources
as well as reconstructions of user experiences of technology from that era. All
the titles & credits are provided as HTML links, so anyone can browse my
source materials. Plus the film has been released under a Creative Commons
Attribution license, so anyone can remix this web history into their own
history.

I spent 18 months making the film, and about two hours promoting it. Now
two hours and five minutes since I wrote this email. In August 2015 I wrote
WebCultures about the film; I'm emailing you folks again because I figured
I might see I can get this on another syllabus somehow.

Please let me know if you have any feedback or experiences with these
materials!

Thanks for your attention.

Warm regards from the future past,

Justin