[WebCultures] Internet Histories Volume 5, Issue 3-4 is online

Asger Harlung asger at cc.au.dk
Wed Dec 8 14:52:44 CET 2021

To whom it may concern

The editors of Internet Histories are pleased to announce that
Volume 5, Issue 3-4, September-December 2021 is complete, and available online.

One article is open access.

Below, please find an overview of contents.

Please also consider submitting an article to the journal, more information about submission can be found here http://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?journalCode=rint20&page=instructions.

This information is sent out as BCC email to contacts and messageboards specified by the editors. It is not a newsletter, but a direct email with information that we hope will be of interest.

Kind regards on behalf of the Internet Histories editorial team,

Asger Harlung,
Editorial Assistant,
Internet Histories

Internet Histories, Volume 5, Issue 3-4, September-December 2021
https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rint20/5/3-4
[https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/cover-img/10.1080/rint20.v005.i03-04]<https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rint20/5/3-4>
Internet Histories<https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rint20/5/3-4>
Digital Technology, Culture and Society Frequency: Yearly ISSN: 2470-1475 eISSN: 2470-1483 https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/24701475.2021.1988239 Abstract This paper provides an introduction to a special double-issue of Internet Histories journal on ‘Asian Internet Histories’. As the editors, we provide context and discussion of the exciting emerging work on Asian Internet histories, and identifies challenges ahead. We suggest that the histories of Asian Internet stand to make a precious and shape-shifting contribution to our understanding of the Internet and its evolution –– as well as ways in which its futures are being framed and approached in the present.
www.tandfonline.com

Contents:

Research Articles

Asian internet histories: an introduction
Gerard Goggin, Haiqing Yu & Kwang-Suk Lee

Radical praxis of computing in the PRC: forgotten stories from the maoist to post-Mao era
Jack Linchuan Qiu & Hongzhe Wang

>From RangKoM and JARING to the Internet: visions and practices of electronic networking in Malaysia, 1983–1996
Hallam Stevens

Between the developmental state and popular nationalism: the pure Hangul movement in the early history of the Korean internet
Kwang-Suk Lee

Relentless villains or fervent netizens?: The alt-right community in Korea, Ilbe
Hojeong Lee

Digital cynical romanticism: Japan’s 2channel and the precursors to online extremist cultures
Brett J. Fujioka & Julia R. DeCook

The mediated and mediatised justice-seeking: Chinese digital vigilantism from 2006 to 2018
Open Access
Qian Huang

Choking the ‘periphery’: pride and prejudice in India’s globalizing Internet imaginary
M. Imran Parray

Discursive activism in the age of BBS: revisiting overseas Chinese protests during the 2008 Beijing Olympics torch relay
Shaohua Guo

>From public sphere to magic circle: playful publics on the Chinese internet
Emilie Xie, Maxwell Foxman & Shuo Xu

The real “poor man’s Arpanet”? A conversation about Unix networks with Kilnam Chon, godfather of the Asian Internet
Camille Paloque-Bergès

Book Review

The evolution of the Chinese internet: Creative visibility in the digital public
edited by Shaohua Guo, Stanford, Stanford University Press, 2020. Hardcover, 328 pp., ISBN: 9781503613775, $30

Other

Thanks to reviewers