[WebCultures] Job offer: 4 year 1.0fte PostDoc for Digital Ethnographer with interest in Twitter, automation and platform studies - University of Siegen Germany
Gerlitz, Carolin, Prof. Dr.
Carolin.Gerlitz at uni-siegen.de
Wed Feb 17 13:40:53 CET 2021
Dear friends and colleagues,
we have a postdoc position for a digital ethnographer interested in Twitter, social media automation and platform studies. You will be working in an interdisciplinary team with digital methods specialists and media activism scholars.
More information on the project "Fabricating the People - Negotiating Claims of Representation in Social Media in Post-Gezi Turkey" and research center "Transformations of the Popular" can be found here: https://www.uni-siegen.de/phil/medienwissenschaft/personal/lehrende/gerlitz_carolin/fabricatingthepeople.html
The link to the official job offer: https://jobs.uni-siegen.de/job/Wissenschaftlicher-Mitarbeiterin-Medienwissenschaft%2C-SFB-%E2%80%9ETransformationen-des-Popul%C3%A4ren-57072/641171901/<https://jobs.uni-siegen.de/job/Wissenschaftlicher-Mitarbeiterin-Medienwissenschaft,-SFB-„Transformationen-des-Populären-57072/641171901/>
Looking forward to receive your applications!
We are looking for:
In Faculty I – Faculty of Philosophy, Media Studies, the German Research Foundation (DFG) Collaborative Research Centre (CRC) 1472 “Transformations of the Popular” is looking for a postdoctoral research associate at the earliest possible date under the following conditions:
* 100% = 39,83 hours
* Salary category 13 TV-L
* fixed-term period until 31.12.2024
CRC "Transformations of the Popular"
The CRC is an interdisciplinary research network consisting of 18 projects and more than 60 scientists from the fields of literature studies, media studies, linguistics, history, music, education, social sciences, art history as well as theology and business administration, collaborating with national and international cooperation partners for a period of four years. The CRC will be funded by the DFG from January, 1st 2021. The CRC deals with interrelated, interdisciplinary research on the causes and consequences of the epochal erosion of the culturally dominant high/low axiology in the course of the development of quantifying methods of measuring attention and its popularisation. The CRC is divided into three areas of research „pop“, „popularisation“ and „populisms“.
Further information on the CRC’s research agenda and subprojects can be found at https://popkultur.uni-siegen.de/sfb1472/
* Conceptualisation, organization and realization of the project “Fabricating ‘the people’ – Negotiating Claims of Representation in Social Media in Post-Gezi Turkey” as part of a team. The project explores how public opinion is both measured and fabricated in the context of post Gezi-Turkey drawing on ethnographic, digital and software studies methodologies
* Development of digital ethnographic methodologies
* Conducting fieldwork on Twitter related practices, networks, software ecologies and automation in the context of Turkey drawing on ethnographic methods
* Presentation of the research project at relevant international conferences
* Publication of research outcomes in relevant international journals
* Conceptualisation and organisation of international conferences, workshops and data-sprints
* Regular participation in the interdisciplinary event program and collaborative working groups of the CRC (including colloquia, lectures, conferences, research labs and workshops)
* Contributions to main topics of the CRC, including socio-technics of popularization in social media, popularization and quantification, popularization and populism
* Above-average doctorate in a discipline relevant to the project such as media studies, cultural studies, ethnology, sociology or science and technology studies
* Research expertise and interest in the field of social media, software- and platform studies, digital culture in Turkey or Twitter research
* Experience with (digital) ethnographic methods, interest in methods of software and platform research and the willingness to participate in methodological development
* Relevant academic achievements (publications, conference presentations)
* Experience with workshop or conference organisation
* Readiness for interdisciplinary cooperation
* Ability to work in a team, conduct tasks independently and very good communication skills
* Fluency in spoken and written English
* German and/or Turkish language skills would be desirable
* This position aims to promote the candidate’s scientific or artistic qualification (e.g. Habilitation) according to the Act of Academic Fixed-Term Contracts (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz), for which the ongoing media research in Siegen together with the Collaborative Research Centre 1187 “Media of Cooperation” and the GRK 1769 “Locating Media” offers an enabling environment.
* Responsibility for a field with great creative potential
* An agile environment that supports engagement with innovative educational work.
* The opportunity to make a visible contribution towards modern accounts of leadership, cooperation and diversity culture
* Numerous offers such as flexible working hours, company pension scheme, dual career service, coaching/mentoring and a comprehensive personnel development program
Please apply exclusively via our application portal: https://jobs.uni-siegen.de<https://jobs.uni-siegen.de/>. Unfortunately, we cannot consider applications in paper form or by e-mail.
Prof. Dr. Carolin Gerlitz
+49 (0) 271 740 4692 (Sekretariat)
Carolin.Gerlitz at uni-siegen.de<mailto:Carolin.Gerlitz at uni-siegen.de>
Prof. Dr. Mine Gencel Bek
Mine.GBek at uni-siegen.de<mailto:Mine.GBek at uni-siegen.de>
The University of Siegen is an equal opportunity employer. The call for applications is explicitly aimed at people of all genders (m/f/d); applications from women are given preference in accordance with the North Rhine-Westphalian Equal Opportunities Act (Landesgleichstellungsgesetz). We also welcome applications from people with different personal, social and cultural backgrounds, people with severe disabilities and people of equal status.
Prof. Dr. Carolin Gerlitz
Professor Digital Media and Methods
Co-Speaker DFG Graduate School Locating Media<http://www.locatingmedia.uni-siegen.de/en/>
Deputy Speaker DFG CRC Media of Cooperation<https://www.mediacoop.uni-siegen.de/en/>
University of Siegen
Room AH 129
carolin.gerlitz at uni-siegen.de<mailto:carolin.gerlitz at uni-siegen.de>
Sekretariat: Vera Beer, AR-H 410
sekretariat-ii at medienwissenschaft.uni-siegen.de<mailto:sekretariat-ii at medienwissenschaft.uni-siegen.de>
Mit den besten Grüßen
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the WebCultures