<editorial board> <agu> The Double Crisis of the University and the Global Economy

gerald raunig raunig at eipcp.net
Wed Dec 24 15:35:15 CET 2008

hi, some thoughts on ...
- title
edu-notes is indeed a bit cautious. i also like the idea of just using
the concept of edu-factory as it is, as it both has a general critical
undertone and a specific echo of fabbrica diffusa / the issue of
immaterial labor. but maybe there are even further ideas for a
linguistically neutral concept not only connected to one language.
subtitle: reference to the university might be too narrow, as it does
not cover issues of self-education and the relations between educational
institutions and their outside/alternatives. so maybe a subtitle like:
transformations and struggles of knowledge production?
- is there a chance for multilinguality?
i liked the idea to publish the edu-factory-book in some three or four
languages. so when the journal will be published on the web, in a medium
that is even more suitable for multilingual publishing, why not try to
organize it in a multilingual fashion and break away from that boring
usage of one hegemonial language? from my perspective a debate on how to
make this possible could also be more fruitful than questions like which
kind of a state apparatus one could put up for "quality control" ;)
by the way, one more issue will be: how to avoid the restriction of
access and how to implement the most suitable version of copyleft.
- structure
reagarding the political materials i would propose two main lines: 1.
reports on political struggles like the onda anomala, 2. practice
examples of self-education and self-organization inside and outside the
university etc.
- zero-issue
connecting to the mail below and the question "How is the crisis likely
to affect the production of knowledge and the organization of such
production around innovation?", i would be interested in the specific
effects of this crisis, be it financial or economic or whatever, not
only on the practice of knowledge production, but also on the theory of
cognitive capitalism.
also during the last few months i see a problem coming up in (radical)
leftist circles: because of the crisis supposed as purely economic you
can find quite many traces of a proliferation of vulgar marxist
thinking, and even the return of a main antagonism. of course, its great
that many start reading das kapital for the first time in their lives,
but i think, its worth while reflecting the re-appearance of simplifying
theoretical approaches and contextualizing them in the complex
arrangement of transversal struggles against sexism and heteronormative
orders, racism, eurocentrism, islamophobia, antisemtism, neo-colonialism
best,
g.