<CPOV> What dismays me

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Tue Mar 16 15:24:19 CET 2010

Patrick & All,

The way I see it, critical practice and critical theory are all about
comparative and contextual analysis, so your radicalism may be forgiven
as an extremely venerable tradition from this reporter's point of view.

No comparison between Wikipedia and other wikis should hedge its horizon
so narrowly that it forgets the role of Jimmy Wales ''sans'' Larry Sanger,
the Wikimedea Foundation, along with its U.S. tax-advantaged status, and the
farming out of content to the profit-seeking Wikia, Inc.  That much, I think,
is enough to render the comparison with Encyclopedia Dramatica rather remote.

Wikipedia may look like anarchy or a Self-Organizing System (SOS?) to an outsider,
anyone who has been through its wringer a sufficient number of times can tell you
that it's "managed anarchy" and that the days of the "e-lightened despot" Jimbo
have yet to diminish and go into the West.  Ample data on that score can be had
by widening your horizon to encompass the English Wikipedia's sibling projects,
and don't forget the House of Lords at Meta-Wikimedia (http://meta.wikimedia.org/).

To give one timely example of JW dictating to the wiki-proletariat, there's an
especially instructive bit of "insurrection squelching" taking place as we speak
on the hyper-campus of Wikiversity.  See this thread on ''The Wikipedia Review''
for links to WV and a sample of current discussion:

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=28850

Ciao,

Jon Awbrey

--