<CPOV> UvA students create new Wikipedia entries and blog about it

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 6 12:49:58 CEST 2010

Dear all,

over the past week nearly 60 students of mine who are following the
New Media Practices course of the New Media masters at Mediastudies
(University of Amsterdam, humanities faculty) had the assignment to
write a new Wikipedia entry. They also had to write a blog posting
about this experience on the collaborative blog called Masters of
Media. This blog was founded in September 2006 and is now in use by
the fifth generation of students.

I have done similar assignments over the past years. Last year we had
35 students.

About half the students ran into trouble, either having their entry
deleted or having to rename it, change topic and so on.

Please read their exciting reports here: http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/
.

Another way to navigate could be the tag cloud: http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/tag/wikipedia/
.

Here you can find photos of the three classes: http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/about/
.

At least half of the students are from outside the Netherlands, and
more than half female.

Best, Geert