<CPOV> Something I've written about the development of the NPOV principle on en-wp

Dror Kamir dqamir at bezeqint.net
Wed May 25 23:44:41 CEST 2011

I'm going to read it of course (as I said, I still have a lot of work to
do with this "thesis" I am going to present), but just to clarify
something - I wasn't thinking too much about the rationality issue, in
fact. What bothered me more is the undermining of the "meta-principle"
that NPOV is a desired byproduct of collaborative work (to be more
exact, collaborative work is the meta-principle which caters to the
three basic principles of WP, NPOV included) and the transition of NPOV
from being independent, even dominating principle to its subduing to the
"verifiability" principle (which is not exactly verifiability rule imho).

The latter shift is dramatic, first of all because it puts WP under the
somewhat post-modernistic approach that there is no truth but rather
people's talks about truth. When I went to "Wikimania 2006" in Boston I
had a strong feeling that WP rejected this notion and tried to return to
the modernist "search the truth" approach.

Secondly, this shift brings pseudo-academic requirements to WP,
something that it tried to avoid for a long time. The idea of Wikipedia
was (at first, as much as I can judge): it is the academy that needs to
adjust to the new system of knowledge flow and to the new technologies,
rather than trying to restrict the new media to their old-fashioned rules.

Indeed the changes in the pseudo-"verifiability" rule gave people with
knowledge of academic norms and access to (Western universities-based)
academic libraries a huge advantage. Perhaps this another explanation
why issues related to Africa (for example) became even harder to write
about, as Heather Ford and Mark Graham showed in their articles. More
importantly - it shifted the discussions on Wikipedia from arguments
about the truthfulness of statements (while bringing all kind of
academic, non-academic, written or visual proofs) to arguments about
whether a certain statement can be backed up with a "reliable source"
(whatever this means). The possibilities it opened for manipulations and
"gaming the system" incidents is truly amazing.

Dror K

בתאריך 25/05/11 20:09, ציטוט Joseph Reagle: