::fibreculture:: The Fibreculture Journal 19—Ubiquity Issue—online

Andrew Murphie andrew.murphie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 22:56:01 CET 2011

Dear Readers/Associates of the Fibreculture Journal,

We have now launched FCJ 19, the Ubiquity issue, our final issue in what
has been we think a very successful year for the Fibreculture Journal.

Edited by Ulrik Ekman in Copenhagen, FCJ 19 presents a series of incisive
analyses of current and future events/practices in ubiquitous computing.

Leading thinkers in the area presented articles on actuated architectures,
questions of interaction design, rethinking of computer/human relations,
environmental critiques, the scripting of urban space, performative
aesthetics, affective experience, pervasive gaming and feral computing.

More information below but you can skip to the real thing at—

http://nineteen.fibreculturejournal.org/

--

from Ulrik Ekman's extensive editorial—

"This is a journal issue invested in remarking more than once upon the
undecidability hovering today around our getting into contact
with  ‘ubiquity’ or ‘pervasiveness’ as a potential to be further actualized
in the fields of human-computer interaction (HCI), interaction design, and
the cultural life worlds of information societies more generally. It could
well be that you have not yet heard of ubiquitous or pervasive  computing,
or that you have heard of these but still remain in doubt whether there
actually is or will be such a thing, in interaction designs or elsewhere.
It could also very well be the case, however, that you both know a great
deal about this as a rather momentous shift, qua a  third wave in computing
and associated disciplines, and find yourself engaging with it all around
you in your practical life: at work, at home, in leisure activities and
games, in the media art at the museum, or in the everyday culture of the
public sphere. Affirming this undecidability is a necessity – since both of
these alternatives are currently at stake, and since ‘ubiquity’ and ubicomp
remain potentialities of whose actualization we are not yet sure, whether
this is matter of an explicit articulation of the principal ideas or of the
concrete lines of development and research making of this so many hands-on
facts inherent in the interactions in our contemporary life worlds. In
other words, the focus and special merit of this issue is not least to
enter into the set of questions surrounding the notion of ‘interaction
designs for ubicomp cultures’ – as something partaking of that which Michel
Foucault would have called ‘a history of the present.’ This issue engages
with an altogether contemporary field of research in order to make a
difference that makes a difference while the cultural and technical
developments at stake are still undecidable, multiple, and emergent – at a
fast pace, too."

Articles include:

Ulrik Ekman: Ubiquity Editorial – Interaction Designs for Ubicomp Cultures

Mette Ramsgard Thomsen and Karin Bech: Embedding response: self production
as a model for an actuated architecture

Anders Michelsen: Pervasive Computing and Prosopopoietic Modelling – Notes
on computed function and creative action

Simon Penny: Towards a Performative Aesthetics of Interactivity

Christian Ulrik Andersen and Søren Pold: The Scripted Spaces of Urban
Ubiquitous Computing: The experience, poetics, and politics of public
scripted space

Bo Kampmann Walther: Reflections on the Philosophy of Pervasive Gaming—With
Special Emphasis on Rules, Gameplay, and Virtuality

Matthew Fuller and Sónia Matos: Feral Computing: From Ubiquitous
Calculation to Wild Interactions

Malcolm McCullough: Toward Environmental Criticism
Jonas Fritsch: Affective Experience in Interactive Environments
more on FCJ 19—the Ubiquity issue <http://nineteen.fibreculturejournal.org/>

--

"A traveller, who has lost his way, should not ask, Where am I? What he
really wants to know is, Where are the other places" - Alfred North

Andrew Murphie - Associate Professor
School of English, Media and Performing Arts, University of New South
Wales, Sydney, Australia, 2052
Editor - The Fibreculture Journal http://fibreculturejournal.org/>
web: http://www.andrewmurphie.org/  http://dynamicmedianetwork.org/

fax:612 93856812 tlf:612 93855548 email: a.murphie at unsw.edu.au