::fibreculture:: EXCESSIVE RESEARCH ­ call for participation, Ph.D./research workshop

Ned Rossiter ned at nedrossiter.org
Tue Jul 14 14:12:52 CEST 2015

EXCESSIVE RESEARCH – call for participation, Ph.D./research workshop
http://www.aprja.net

Organized by:
• APRJA (A Peer-Reviewed Journal About_).
• Participatory IT Research Centre, Aarhus University (Geoff Cox &
Christian Ulrik Andersen)
• transmediale/art&digitalculture (Kristoffer Gansing)
• Contemporary Art Lab, Liverpool John Moores University, in partnership
with Liverpool Biennial (Joasia Krysa)

For the workshop, we will be joined by Wolfgang Sützl (Ohio University),
and other invited guests (TBA).

Submission deadline, Aug 31, 2015 (notification by Sept 4)
Workshop in Liverpool, UK, Nov 03-05, 2015
Online activity, from Sept 28, 2015

ABOUT
The research/Ph.D. workshop EXCESSIVE RESEARCH relates to the
announcement of transmediale 2016, ‘Conversation Piece’
(http://www.transmediale.de/festival ) which highlights the compulsive
actions of digital culture, and how we are constantly encouraged to stay
active, to make, to share and to secure. A culture of sharing, for
instance, is evidently one of the most noticeable idealized activities
of a networked society and how value is created. In the research/Ph.D.
seminar we encourage participants to extend and nuance the discussions
of closed/open, proprietary/non-proprietary,
non-participatory/participatory dichotomies and delve into the nature of
sharing, making, securing, acting and their limits. What happens when
research is less about exchange and more about excess?

The compulsory and idealized actions of a networked society are often
composite activities. They are idealized by network ‘pirates’, and at
the same time the conveyors of new agile innovation strategies, and
modes of economic and symbolic exchange. They are constitutive for our
cultural being (e.g. ‘sharing is caring’), and at the same time they can
be a threat if the logic of accumulation is challenged by focussing on
excess, loss and indebtedness. In a recent article On Sharing
(http://kunsthalaarhus.dk/en/research#overlay=en/research/on-sharing)
and referring to Bataille’s notion of excess, Wolfgang Sützl writes how
we need to look beyond our existing terms of exchange to include
“anti-economic, political and existential meanings” in order to expand
our understanding of sharing and how we create communities of action.

Through highlighting excess,the workshop asks where the limits of
exchange reside? Given how research is bound to some of these compulsory
actions through open structures of exchange, we seek proposals that
respond to this: both in terms of how research might go beyond itself;
beyond its own systems of exchange that are ever more economised
(notably in the UK where we hold this workshop), and in terms of its
application to other research subjects and Ph.D. projects that study
some of these compulsory actions of contemporary art and digital culture
(i.e., acting, making, sharing, securing, etc.).