::fibreculture:: ‘Decoding Publics: A Review of Digital Media Analytics Tools’

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 28 07:58:31 CEST 2016

Apologies for multiple posts

The News & Media Research Centre at the University of Canberra is delighted to announce the publication of ‘Decoding Publics: A Review of Digital Media Analytics Tools’ by Mathieu O’Neil and Daniel Kelley

>From the Introduction: ‘We live in the age of what Castells calls “mass self-communication”. As a result ever-more data about the online communications of people and organisations are being produced, as well as about the spread and impact of these communications. Another consequence is that new software tools are regularly announced as the “next big thing” in online analytics. This report is not meant as the definitive word on the subject, or as a complete snapshot of the state of play. We simply aim to provide an entry-point for those who are considering engaging with online data analytics. [...] The report contains brief reviews of fifteen social media software analytics tools assessed using the same criteria, to evaluate the potential of these tools for teaching and training purposes.’

Tools reviewed include:

Discovertext, Netlytic, Twitonomy (text analytics)

NodeXL, Netlytic (social networks analytics) Issue Crawler, VOSON, Webometrics Analyst (hyperlink analytics)

Google Analytics, Hootsuite, SocialMediaMineR (action analytics)

Countly, Mixpanel (mobile analytics)

Followerwonk, Tweepsmap (location analytics)

The report can be downloaded for free here: http://www.canberra.edu.au/research/faculty-research-centres/nmrc/publications