::fibreculture:: CFP 4S Open Panel: Celebrating and Critiquing Feminist Inclusion Strategies in Technoscience Communities

Em O'Sullivan em.osullivan.15 at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 1 13:08:09 CET 2021

**with apologies for cross-posting**

Dear colleagues,

We warmly invite abstract submissions for the open panel 'Celebrating
and Critiquing Feminist Inclusion Strategies in Technoscience
Communities
<https://www.4sonline.org/31-celebrating-and-critiquing-feminist-inclusion-strategies-in-technoscience-communities/>',
to be held at the annual 4S meeting this year, between October 6-9.
Abstracts of up to 250 words can be submitted at this portal
<https://convention2.allacademic.com/one/ssss/ssss21/>, and the deadline
is March 8. Please consider submitting an abstract, and do spread the
word among colleagues and students. We look forward to reading your
submissions!

The call for papers is as follows:

*Celebrating and Critiquing Feminist Inclusion Strategies in
Technoscience Communities*

Em O'Sullivan, University College London; Isha Bhallamudi, University of
California, Irvine; Patricia Peña, University of Chile, Institute of
Image and Communication

Science and technology communities come in many forms, from the elite
community of research scientists within the academy to the myriad
grassroots communities that spring up to take direct action on
technology policy issues. Yet despite this wide variation in
technoscience communities, many continue to reproduce gendered patterns
of exclusion visible in science and technology more broadly.

This panel provides space for critiquing community practices and
structures of exclusion that contribute to limiting who can participate
in the production of technoscientific knowledge, who can contribute to
decision-making around policy and innovation priorities, and who gets to
design the technological products and infrastructure that shape our
lives. But, in line with this year’s theme of “good relations”, it also
aims to celebrate successful inclusion strategies, to identify
replicable practices for enhancing community diversity, and to highlight
radical experiments in relationship-building and community development.
We believe that this year, of all years, this celebration of progress is
particularly important.

We welcome contributions–from any geographical location in the Global
South or North–that explore feminist community inclusion strategies from
a wide range of theoretical approaches. These could include (but are not
limited to): communities of practice; space and place-making; social
field theory; identity theory; affect theory; participatory design and
co-design practices; and critical making. We also welcome
practice-oriented presentations that are not necessarily based in
theory. We particularly welcome intersectional contributions that look
at issues of gender inclusion/exclusion alongside axes of “race”,
ethnicity, class, (dis)ability, transgender status, sexual identity, etc.

Contact: em.osullivan.15 at ucl.ac.uk

--

Em O'Sullivan (they/them)

PhD Student - Gender, Technology, and Makerspaces
Department of Science and Technology Studies
University College London
http://freakatoms.co.uk/
@freakatoms

Latest article: "Excellence in the maker movement", /Journal of Peer
Production, /Issue 12, 2018
<http://peerproduction.net/issues/issue-12-makerspaces-and-institutions/practitioner-reflections/excellence-in-the-maker-movement/>