[Filmfestivalresearch] CfP: WORKSHOP ON THEORY & FILM FESTIVALS, Re: CfP Film Festival Research at SCMS 2011

ger zielinski, ph.d. geraldzielinski at trentu.ca
Sat Jul 24 12:29:31 CEST 2010

Dear Fellow Festival Researchers,

Building on the brilliant success of our methodology workshop at SCMS
Los Angeles, I would like to propose a workshop (at SCMS New Orleans) on
the theme of the use of theory in work on film festivals. As this lively
area of research continues to develop, it is important to take a pause
to reflect on what sort of theoretical issues have predominated in the
discourse and what alternatives or future possibilities might be
anticipated. In the course of the last several panels and publications
in the area, we have witnessed the use of theoretical frameworks
borrowing form diverse theories of actor-network, art world and cultural
capital, as well as postcolonial critique, queer theory, among others,
sometimes intersecting one another. Some questions that we may consider
include: How have we put theory into our work on film festivals? What
reticences and blind spots can we uncover? Where might film festival
research lead theory?

If you have any questions on this workshop do contact me (
geraldzielinski at trentu.ca ). Please follow the instructions sent out by
our good colleague Skadi Loist below, but for this particular workshop
also copy (cc) me with your submission! Of course, you may submit and
present both on a panel and in a workshop. Looking forward to receiving
your submissions and putting together an exciting workshop.

Best,
Ger Zielinski

On 07/06/2010 01:22 PM, Skadi Loist wrote:

> CfP Pre-Constituted Panel(s) on Film Festivals
>

> 2011 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference
>
> New Orleans, LA
>
> March 10–13, 2011
>

> In preparation for the SCMS Conference in New Orleans next year, we would
> like to invite scholars working on film festivals (especially members of the
> Film Festival Research Network) to submit paper proposals for
> pre-constituted panel(s) and/or workshop(s).
>

> While the conference theme focuses on “Media Citizenship”, this is not
> intended to be rigid. The film festival panel(s) will therefore be open to
> papers on all aspects of research relating to film festivals.
>

> Please contact Skadi Loist (<mailto:m.devalck at uva.nl>
> skadi.loist at uni-hamburg.de) no later than AUGUST 10, 2010 to register your
> interest and indicate the possible area of your paper or a topic you would
> like to discuss with others in the workshop format.  We will then work at
> integrating the indicated interests to form panels and/or workshops.  Expect
> a response by August 15.
>
> For the eventual panel(s), all presenters are asked to provide a title, an
> abstract of max. 250 words, with key bibliographical references, and a short
> biography in a form ready to be submitted to SCMS.  We therefore ask anyone
> participating in the panel(s) to send their completed proposals as a word
> attachment to Skadi no later than August 21, 2010 to allow time for
> preparation of the overall panel(s) description(s) and submission before the
> general submissions deadline on September 1, 2010.
>

> Please consult the SCMS guidelines before you submit.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Skadi Loist, Universität Hamburg
>
> Marijke de Valck, University of Amsterdam
>

> * * *
>

> Skadi Loist, M.A. (Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin)
> Universität Hamburg
> Institut für Medien und Kommunikation
> Von-Melle-Park 6
> 20146 Hamburg