[Filmfestivalresearch] avant-garde film festivals

Jill Daniels J.Daniels2 at uel.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 17:47:26 CEST 2012

Hi both

Good heavens I had forgotten but I was at Knokke the year the main prize was
won by Anna Ambrose for The Noodle Spinner.  Mike Dunford I believe also won
an award for Still Life.  We were all students at the Royal College of Art. I
don't think I have a catalogue. My first taste of the Real Stella Artois.
That may have been 1972, not sure.

Also the Expanded Cinema film festival at the ICA, where I was represented
with my 2-screen film Description, 1976 maybe.  That was a one off though.  I
could find the catalogue, Felicity Sparrow did some research on that festival
I believe.  She used to run Greater London Arts and set up Circles in the UK.

Athens Ohio has been going since the 70s and has always been quite cutting
edge. Ruth Bradley is the director and has been from the start. And Bristol
Encounters emerged from a short film festival that started in the 70s in the
UK.

I will let you know Greg if my 'weak' memory comes up with any other
festivals of that era.

Best wishes

Jill

Senior Lecturer