[Filmfestivalresearch] Symposium at University of Lincoln: Latin American Cinemas Today

Sarah Barrow sarahbarrow789 at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 4 10:50:03 CET 2012

Latin American Cinemas Today: Reframing the National

Friday - Saturday 24-25 February 2012

This Symposium sets out to interrogate the relationships, dependencies and
tensions between the transnational, national, regional and local in Hispanic
cinemas. To date, many of the debate on this topic have focused on the
mechanisms of cultural production and reception for contemporary Latin
American film, examining the structures and impact of transnational funding
schemes, while also taking into account the value of funding and
distribution opportunities offered by schemes established by European
festivals.

At this event, we specifically ask:

- How do the mechanisms of transnational co-production and distribution
affect the selection of stories that are told about Latin America?

- How, in turn, does that affect audience understanding of the development
of individual nations and their cultures?

- How are we encouraged to ‘imagine’ the region? Should we even speak of a
Latin American cinema?

- Does the neo-colonial gaze persist? Has it emerged in new forms?

- To what extent are we still unaware of the variety of films that are being
produced in and about Latin America?

The event will conclude with a screening of a selection of films from the
initiative established by the Festival of San Sebastián to support the
development of Hispanic cinema: Cine en Construcción.

Confirmed speakers and respondents are:

Jeffrey Middents (American University, Washington DC)

Libia Villazana (ISA, University of London),

Sarah Barrow (University of Lincoln),

Stephanie Dennison (University of Leeds)

Deborah Shaw (University of Portsmouth)

Nuria Triana-Toribio (University of Manchester)

Fee [includes event and all catering except Fri eve meal]:

2 days, Full: £25; 2 days, PG: £15; Friday only [all]: £10; Saturday only
[all]: £15

For further details of schedule and to register, please see attached and/or
contact Sarah Barrow: sbarrow at lincoln.ac.uk

Symposium sponsors

SLAS: www.slas.org.uk

ISA/JISLAC: http://americas.sas.ac.uk/

University of Lincoln School of Media: www.lincoln.ac.uk/media

Dr Sarah Barrow
Head of School
Lincoln School of Media
University of Lincoln
Brayford Pool
Lincoln
LN6 7TS
Tel: 01522-886615
Email: sbarrow at lincoln.ac.uk
http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/media/

Click here for news of our graduates:
http://lismalumni.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/ - we're very proud of their
achievements and success.

Follow LincolnMedia Twitter:
 http://twitter.com/LincolnMedia

To find out more about and listen to staff and student work in Audio
Production: http://audioproduction.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/