[Filmfestivalresearch] online film festival research in Australia

Tess Van Hemert tess.vanhemert at qut.edu.au
Thu Jul 5 03:24:30 CEST 2012

Dear Festival Researchers,

I'm currently working with a colleague, Mark Ryan,  to put together a grant application  to research online film festivals in Australia.

Some details of what we are hoping to do include:

Online Film festivals: Opportunities for Australia to strengthen community engagement from online developments in the international film festival circuit
This project will investigate the current online capabilities of Australian film festivals in providing greater access and engagement to audiences in both metropolitan and regional areas.

Project Aims
The project aims to:

 *   Investigate the current state of online film festivals in Australia and how major film festivals integrate online programme components in comparison to cutting edge trends/developments in online film festivals overseas.
 *   Review how well major Australian film festivals engage with regional audiences and communities outside of metropolitan cities.
 *   Identify opportunities for Australian film festivals to bridge this divide through online film festivals/online enhancement in terms of fostering better community engagement, professional development and cultural expression.

I thought I'd just send out an email to see if anyone else is conducting similar research in online film festivals (particularly to do with community engagement and regional areas).

If so, we would love to hear from you.

Best wishes,

Tess Van Hemert

PhD Candidate | Sessional Academic