[Filmfestivalresearch] Documentary films on film festivals?

MA Ran/ 馬然 maraninhk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 03:24:41 CET 2012

Dear all,

1. Just got to know that the Seoul Indie Film Festival (opens today) will
screen a fiction film made by Kim Dong-ho , the former  director of Busan
International Film Festival, called JURY, and its "stars" include : AHN
Sung-ki, KANG Soo-yeon, JUNG In-gi, Tony RAYNS and TOMIYAMA Katsu etc.
check it out!
http://siff.or.kr/eng/program/invitation_view.html?mov_idx=1131&gubun=

2. Chinese indie filmmaker Xue Jianqiang has a documentary called "I beat
Tiger When I was Young" (2010)-----which has lots of interviews with
Chinese indie filmmakers and programmers etc. shot on occasions like
grassroots indie film festivals at Mainland China etc. Trailer is available
at vimeo
http://vimeo.com/30623383

cheers
Ran

On 23 November 2012 16:28, Laurie Kirby <laurie.kirby at imfcon.com> wrote:

> IFC has a mockumentary series about  a film festival.
> On Nov 22, 2012, at 10:54 PM, Jean-Michel Frodon wrote:
>

> > Among others, there are the 4 films by Gilles Jacob about Cannes Film
> > Festival.
> > Why only documentary? Fictions shot inside festivals tell a lot too -
> from
> > Chahine to de Palma in Cannes, Sophie Letourneur in Locarno, even Hong
> > Sang-soo in a Jeonju-like invented Festival, etc.
> > All the best
> > jmf
> > PS: Of course, Panafrican Festival in Algiers was not a Film Festival...
> >
> > Jean-Michel Frodon
> > http://blog.slate.fr/projection-publique
> > http://artsciencefactory.fr
> > Professeur associé à Sciences-Po Paris
> > Membre du comité pédagogique de SPEAP
> > Professorial Fellow, University of St. Andrews. Scotland
> >

> > 2012/11/22 ger zielinski, ph.d. <geraldzielinski at trentu.ca>
> >

> >> Dear Festive Scholars,
> >>
> >> The recent query on Klein's film "Festival panafricain d’Alger 1969" has
> >> piqued my curiosity on existing documentary films on film festivals.
> There
> >> does not seem to be a handy list out there already. If you know of any
> >> relevant documentaries (in whatever language), do pass on the details!
> >>
> >> I know only of two such docs, namely
> >>
> >> Marc Huestis "25th Anniversary of Frameline, San Francisco LGBT Film
> >> Festival" (2001)
> >> Not in distribution.
> >>
> >> Johan van der Keuken "Sarajevo film festival" (1993)
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MquwwQOdsE
> >> (The SFF officially began in 1995?)
> >>
> >> cheers, ger
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ger Zielinski, PhD
> >> Assistant Professor
> >> Department of Cultural Studies
> >> Catherine Parr Traill College, Scott House 202
> >> Trent University
> >> 300 London Street
> >> Peterborough, ON K9H 7P4 Canada
> >>
> >> T: +1 705 748 1011 X6154 (Office: Catherine Parr Traill College, Wallis
> >> Hall 124)
> >> F: +1 705 748 1826
> >> http://trentu.ca/culturalstudies/Zielinski.php
> >

> Laurie Kirby, Esq., Executive Director
>
> Laurie.kirby at filmfestivalsummit.com
>
> Laurie.kirby at imfcon.com
>
> (p) 626-470-6043  PST
>
> (f) 917-398-2125
>
> www.filmfestivalsummit.com
>
> www.imfcon.com
>
> We are the voice of the music and film festival community.
>
> Founded in 2002, the IFFS & IMFCON provide the only annual conference &
> symposium for film & music festival professionals and entertainment
> executives to network, learn from one another, establish partnerships, and
> understand the latest trends in festival operations.

Ma Ran   馬   然/ マ ラン
Postdoc Research Fellow
Urban Research Plaza,
Osaka City University