[Filmfestivalresearch] seeking list of short filmfestivals/festivals with shorts category

Sydney J. Levine sydney at sydneysbuzz.com
Sat Aug 3 17:56:48 CEST 2013

This is great!  Thanks Tyrone.

I give presentations around the world about how young filmmakers can work
the festivals to their career advantage.

Here is some data I have collected and it might help (Keep my in mind for
any panels or classes, I am looking for paying gigs.  I do Talent Campus,
Deutsche Welle, Chapman University, Woodbury University, UCLA Extension
among others - mainly at festivals but not always:

5 Top Festivals for Shorts (But not the only ones!)

1.Cannes Fest(s) and Shorts Corner. May 9 ­ 19, 2013
http://www.cannescourtmetrage.com/uploads/albums/BrochureCCM_12.pdfAlso
during the Cannes Film Festival, the Cinefondation
<http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/cinefoundation.html> has a shorts
competition.
2.Sundance FF.  January 17 ­ 27, 2013
http://www.sundance.org/festival/ or see the winners
<http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/sundance/debutante-hunters-wins-yahoo-sundan
ce-2012-shorts-competition-172532156.html> 2012
3. Berlin Fest and Talent Campus. February 7 ­ 17, 2013
http://www.berlinale.de <http://www.berlinale.de/>
4. Clermont Ferrand Fest and Market. February 1 ­ 9, 2013
http://www.clermont-filmfest.com/index.php?m=129
5. Oberhausen Fest and Market.  May 2 ­ 7, 2013
http://www.kurzfilmtage.de/index.php?id=2147&L=2

Chile has its Santiago Shorts Film Festival de Chile
<http://www.filmfestivalworld.com/festival/Chilean_Intl_Short_Film_Festival
/> as Mexico has Expresión en Corto <http://www.expresionencorto.com/>.
These are not only for Spanish language films and are important industry
events.

 New short film festivals are sprouting up like Zone Horror CUT! Short
Film Competition <http://www.zonehorror.tv/cut.php> which gives a £2,000
award.

 There is also the Filminute Festival <http://www.filminute.com/>.  Film
Independent¹s Los Angeles Film Festival
<http://www.filmindependent.org/content/2010-los-angeles-film-festival-subm
ission-guidelines> takes shorts which then qualify them for Academy Award
nominations, as does LALIFF (Los Angeles Latino International Film
Festival).

Here are other good sources about shorts, whether spaces for them,
distributors, or buyers:

€100 short film festivals
http://www.raindance.org/worlds-top-short-film-festivals/

€Short films cover a whole range of categories ­ animated, documentary,
experimental, live action, musical, travelogue, fashion, to name a few,
and they allow experiments with cinematic styles and format at the
starting point in careers.

€Research the types of festivals which reach your type of audience
demographic.

€British Council Festival Directory lists 1495 Festivals.
http://film.britishcouncil.org/festivals-directory

€Withoutabox lists more than 5,000.
https://www.withoutabox.com <https://www.withoutabox.com/>

€OpenFilm http://www.openfilm.com/film-festivals/

Hope this is useful!

Sydney Levine

P.S. Does someone have a good list of festivals for documentaries??

Please do us a favor and go to www.Indiewire.com/SydneyLevine and click on
Email Updates.
Also please visit SydneysBuzz.com <http://www.sydneysbuzz.com/blog/> our
new web page, and subscribe to SydneysSnapshots Monthly Newsletter (The 5
most read of SydneysBuzz, OthersBuzz and SydneysSnapshots) -- it's free
too!

THIS HELPS US AND WE THANK YOU!!

www.SydneysBuzz.com <http://www.SydneysBuzz.com>

SydneysBuzz the Blog