[Filmfestivalresearch] Pre-Sales Discount: Sustainable Projections

Dina Iordanova dina.iordanova at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 11:53:22 CET 2013

Dear all,

Under the trendy 'open access' approach (which I personally have serious
problems with), Alex Fischer's doctoral thesis was made available in full
on-line by his University two years ago. By the time we went into
production for what became the monograph SUSTAINABLE PROJECTIONS, the
thesis had been downloaded more than 200 times. In a situation like this,
most publishers would decide not to go ahead with the publication of a
text that seems to have exhausted a big share of its market potential --
whoever wanted to get familiar with Alex's ideas would have already done
so by accessing the free online version.

I believe, however, that it was still worth publishing the book. Not only
because the book is a substantially reworked, distilled, and better
articulation of the important contribution that Alex makes to the field of
film festival studies. It is also about the growth and the actual
legitimisation of this field of study. We did not want Alex's work to be
yet another example where an important thesis would be extensively quoted
and referenced as a groundbreaking work and yet would not be available in
published form -- the way we know it from Julian Stringer's now classical
dissertation which is referenced in literally every piece that I read or
review and is not accessible to wider audiences as a monograph. It is a
sad illustration of the still persistent marginality of the field.

I would like to hope that even if you may have downloaded and read Alex's
pioneering dissertation already, you will sill consider ordering the book
and asking your libraries to order it, so that a wider audience has access
to this important work.

Thank you: Dina

Prof. Dina Iordanova FRSA
Chair in Film Studies