[Filmfestivalresearch] Film festivals and COVID-19 special event + CfP

Antoine Damiens a.damiens at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 16:54:10 CET 2021

Dear friends and colleagues,

We are writing to invite you to a special event around the recently published “Film festivals and the first wave of COVID-19” <https://necsus-ejms.org/portfolio/autumn-2020_method/#toggle-id-3> festival reviews dossier in NECSUS. Our contributors will discuss the impact of the pandemic on a wide variety of film festivals on January 14th, 2021 11am EST (New York) / 5PM GMT+1 (Paris/Amsterdam). Link: https://mcgill.zoom.us/j/87493185703 <https://mcgill.zoom.us/j/87493185703>

List of contributors / speakers :
-  Asli Ozgen-Tuncer, "The International Labour Film Festival in Turkey"
- Montserrat Jurado-Martin and Francisco-Julián Martínez-Cano, "Beyond a shadow of a doubt: For the Elche International Independent Film Festival dying is not an option"
- Justice A. Whitaker, "San Luis Obispo International Film Festival: The social responsibility of redesigning an American film festival"
- Phil Hobbins-White  and Brad Limov, "SXSW, Amazon, and the difficulty of staging an exclusive event online"
- Dagmar Brunow, "Come together? Curating communal viewing experiences for hybrid and online film festivals"
- Sheila Petty, "Story within a story: Vues d’Afrique in the time of COVID-19”

You can find the full issue here: http://necsus-ejms.org/portfolio/autumn-2020_method/#toggle-id-3  <http://necsus-ejms.org/portfolio/autumn-2020_method/#toggle-id-3>

Furthermore, we are currently looking for contributors for the festival reviews section of the Spring 2021 issue of NECSUS.

Given that the pandemic is ongoing and that its impact on the festival world will likely be long lasting, we are currently constituting a dossier on “film festivals and the second wave of COVID-19.". We are particularly interested in festival reviews touching upon: festivals organized in non-Western contexts; festivals that have been held in person and/or in countries without strict lockdown; cancelled festivals; innovative solutions chosen by festival organizers; and reviews that build on discussions started during the first wave.
If you are interested in contributing, please contact the section editors Marijke de Valck (m.devalck at uu.nl <mailto:m.devalck at uu.nl>) and Antoine Damiens (Antoine.damiens at mail.mcgill.ca <mailto:Antoine.damiens at mail.mcgill.ca>) with a short proposal. The deadline for submissions of the festival review (max. 2.500 words) will be in early February.
NECSUS is an international, open access journal of media studies initiated by NECS (European Network for Cinema and Media Studies) and published by Amsterdam University Press.
Film festival reviews section, guideline for authors: https://necsus-ejms.org/review-submissions/ <https://necsus-ejms.org/review-submissions/>
Previously published film festival reviews: https://necsus-ejms.org/category/reviews/festivalreviews/ <https://necsus-ejms.org/category/reviews/festivalreviews/>

Take care,

Antoine Damiens and Marijke de Valck
Co-editors of the film festival reviews section, NECSUS