[re-search] Utrecht University library surrenders to Google

René König kontakt at renekoenig.eu
Fri May 31 14:28:25 CEST 2013

Hi Ulf & list,

Thanks for your feedback! It´s pretty much exactly what I think.
Somebody from Utrecht University library has reacted to my tweet (one of the
beautiful dynamics of Twitter), justifying their approach. I do see their
point: Why acting against the actual user behavior and wasting the tight
budget? Anyway, the question if we (academia as well as the general society)
wants to leave the important field of search technology to a few commercial
companies goes way beyond the decisions of a single library. Something for
our upcoming Society of the Query conference
(http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/weblog/2013/04/23/save-the-date-society-of-
the-query-2-november-7-8-2013-in-amsterdam/)...
Cheers,

René