[re-search] Questions for Google

Engin Bozdag engin at bozdag.nl
Mon Jan 13 23:58:03 CET 2014

Hi Pascal,

Here are some questions that came to my mind:

- How do they define diversity? Serendipity? Political diversity? Showing a
liberal user more conservative items?
- How do they perceive "quality"? Is it merely "customer satisfaction",
"relevance", or is it something else?
- If "relevance" defines quality, then do they feel that everything else is
acceptable? This includes personalization, whitelisting, blacklisting,
weighing some content as authoritative, etc.
- Do they run tests to measure and prevent "filter bubble"?
- Do they experiment with personalization / diversity features without
users' consent/knowledge? (Bing and Facebook does that)
- How do they make the decision on what algorithm to employ? All engineers
gather, give their thoughts and product manager tells them what to do?
- Do they consult users to understand their opinions/values on certain
features such as personalization? Or is the value of the manager/engineer
is used while deciding the algorithm?

best regards from Delft,

--
Engin Bozdag