<unlike-us> A Canadian mayor leaves the hate machine

José María Mateos chema at rinzewind.org
Sun Aug 5 23:39:18 CEST 2018

This was published today and I think it can be of interest:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/granby-mayor-signs-off-facebook-for-good

The first five paragraphs tell the story:

---
Pascal Bonin announced his decision to sign off of the social media
website for good on Friday with one final post on his official page.
Bonin estimated he spent anywhere from seven to 10 hours on the website
per week for five years. He said he would promptly reply to messages he
received during his self-imposed schedule of 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.

During that time, Bonin said he found keeping the line of communication
open was not only time-consuming, but hard on his morale.

“The keyboard has become a weapon,” the mayor of the town 80 kilometres
east of Montreal said bluntly in an interview with Presse canadienne on
Sunday.

When hidden behind a screen, Bonin said, it seems writers can make
odious comments without recognizing the effect of their words. “It’s a
jungle. It’s unpleasant. Nobody controls this kind of inflammatory
freedom of expression.”

He claimed he was subject to criticism on all fronts. “It could be about
my lifestyle, my actions, my opinions. They went in every direction
possible.”
---

Best,

--