<videovortex> videovortex Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9

Seth Keen seth.keen at rmit.edu.au
Wed Jan 16 08:18:19 CET 2008

Hi Vera and Patrick,

I look forward to catching up! I am writing early, yes making that jet lag adjustment.

There seems to be a few ways to look at avoiding online video due to technical know how. Yes, as Vera points out if you are an offline video artist looking to maintain high-end aesthetic control then a site like YouTube could be far from appealing, let alone small frame size, compressed web aesthetics etc. Although, many video artists set up channels themselves to give their work wider distribution (and remember MOMA doing trailers for high-profile artists on YouTube, discussed on this list earlier) There was some interesting debates in this area also on accepting changes in exhibiting outside the white cube. Particularly from my POV of dealing with the reappropriation of work for what is a very different platform. There is room to develop highly aesthetic online video with this potential increasing as the technology keeps developing, but it needs to be different I think in terms of the response to the web as a particular type of environment. Some of these approaches where demonstrated at Argos.

It seems hard to accept not engaging with online video from a bottom-up level, with producing and publishing made so easy from the making (with user-friendly hardware/software - i.e. cameras that have been made to function like imovie) to distributing via vlogging/blogging and video-sharing sites (YouTube; blip; revver etc etc). There is plenty of space for artists to jump in, after all millions are making and publishing everyday.

Another idea is that there could be more collaborations that allow for differing people with varied skills from the creative idea through to technical skills to get together and develop works. This mode I think is very reflective of working with the web, from software development to producing social software platforms. This way of working can take a bit of trial and error, particularly if you are used to working solo and having total control.

But, maybe there is other resistance going on here that I am missing?

Seth

>>> "vera tollmann" <vera.tollmann at gmx.net> 16/01/08 10:37 AM >>>
Hi Patrick,
haha, that's funny, sounds like a good excuse not to be able to deal
with online video services. I even know one artist who did not deal
with video at all before he started shooting short video clips and
putting them online (even many times from Internet cafes because he
doesn't have a laptop). Maybe its the other way around that those
artists don't find the online video services satisfying in terms of
image quality. So online video services seem to evoke all kinds of
anachronistic behaviour.
See you Thursday, bye,
Vera