<videovortex> YouTube Play and Guggenheim

Cecilia Guida cecilia at networkcultures.org
Tue Jun 15 09:20:42 CEST 2010

http://www.youtube.com/Play
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/youtube-play-searching-with-guggenheim.html

YouTube Play: searching with the Guggenheim for the world’s most creative
online video

Do you ever look at a YouTube video and think, "That's a work of art?"
Yep, so do we—and now, so does the Guggenheim.

In five years, YouTube has redefined media culture by changing the way the
world creates, distributes and watches video. Online video is exploding
not just as a medium, but as an art form, and we’re proud of the
originality and innovation that YouTube has fostered among our users. Our
community has produced some of the most creative and celebrated works on
the Internet, videos that have been viewed by millions of people around
the world.

We want to celebrate phenomenal video-makers and recognize the creative
potential of the medium. So today we’re collaborating with the Guggenheim
Museum to discover the most creative video in the world, and showcase
exceptional talent working in the ever-expanding realm of digital media:
YouTube Play: A Biennial of Creative Video. This global online initiative
is presented in collaboration with HP.

We’re looking for animation, motion graphics, narrative, non-narrative, or
documentary work, music videos and entirely new art forms—creations that
really challenge the world’s perceptions of what’s possible with video. We
want to elevate the debate. This presentation, we hope, will garner some
of the finest creative work from every corner of the globe—not only to
showcase it on one of the biggest stages online, but also in one of the
most iconic artistic venues in the world, the Guggenheim Museum in New
York City, and throughout the Guggenheim network of museums in Bilbao,
Venice and Berlin.

Participants must submit their videos to YouTube Play to enter. The
deadline for submission is July 31, 2010, after which the Guggenheim will
assemble a shortlist to be evaluated by an international jury of experts
from the worlds of art, design, film and video. Up to 20 videos will be
presented at the Guggenheim Museum in New York on October 21, with
simultaneous presentations at the Guggenheim museums in Bilbao, Venice and
Berlin. The presentations will also be viewable to on the YouTube Play
brand channel at youtube.com/play.

As we did with the YouTube Symphony Orchestra, we hope to build an
aspirational place for some of the world’s best artists to showcase their
works and talents. For more information about how to enter, go to
youtube.com/play.

--
Cecilia Guida
Video Vortex