<videovortex> Mozilla call: Improving the video experience

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 11 21:02:39 CET 2019

Dear VideoVortex members,

this comes from a call by the Mozilla Foundation. Would this be something for VideoVortex members?

--

Mozilla Research Grants are a program to help us keep the Internet safe, open, and accessible to all <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mission/>, as it evolves. Where appropriate, we are particularly looking for proposals that support our aim to grow an internet that truly puts people first, where individuals can shape their own experience and are empowered, safe and independent.

For the 2019H2 funding series, we will be accepting proposals to answer seven specific research questions. We absolutely recognize the value of research outside of these domains and research questions, but for this round we will only accept funding for work in these categories.

https://mozilla-research.forms.fm/mozilla-research-grants-2019h2/forms/7376

RQ5. Improving the video experience.
Video is the biggest use of raw bandwidth on the internet. It’s not a coincidence that it’s also a major use of the browser on desktops and laptops, as well as a significant minority of use on mobile platforms where people might prefer not to install more single-use apps. How can we better understand what video services people are watching, how they’re watching video, and what’s the best experience we could provide for those services? Are users who like to watch video in their browser more or less engaged with other browser-based experiences? Does consuming media in Firefox relate to other browsing use patterns? How could Firefox be the best browser for video and media consumers by providing features they’d especially value?