<agu> Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: editorial board list opening

info at edu-factory.org info at edu-factory.org
Mon Dec 22 11:40:27 CET 2008

----- Messaggio Inoltrato  -----
Da : "Nirmal Puwar" <n.puwar at gold.ac.uk>
A : "info at edu-factory.org" <info at edu-factory.org>
Oggetto : Re: <agu> Fwd: Re:  editorial board list opening
Data : Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:30:11 -0000 (GMT)

perhaps book reviews could be reviews, this would allow it
to include review of other media too, such as films and
exhibitions.

zero issue - the theme proposed is quite a specific
theoretical/political position. Is this the best theme for
capturing attention?

best
nirmal

On Sun, December 21, 2008 4:49 pm, info at edu-factory.org
wrote: >

> [...]
would > prefer a  more extensive definition, perhaps
economic crisis or world > crisis 5. A not-anonymous peer
review system >
> Augusto Illuminati
>

>> Dear all,
>>

>> Thanks for agreeing to participate in the editorial board
>>
> of >the new journal stemming from the edu-factory project.
We >have added > you to this mailing list, which we hope to
use to >discuss the directions > of the journal as well as
the >> practical concerns involved in its production. Please
let > us >know if you would prefer to communicate with the
other >> members of the editorial board in another way.

>> After a round of invitations sent to various participants
>>
> of >the edu-factory network, we have arrived at a
provisional >list of > editorial board members:

>> Marco Baravalle; Claudia Bernardi; Marc Bousquet; George
>> Caffentzis; Simone Capra; Sandro Chignola; Anna Curcio;
>> Alberto De Nicola; Paolo Do; Ludovica Fales; Silvia
>> Federici; Gabriela Garcia; Ezequiel Gatto; Andrea Ghelfi;
>> Gary Hall; Michael Hardt; Stefano Harney; Avinash Jha;
>> Camillo Imperore; Augusto Illuminati; Gasper Kralj; Geert
>> Lovink; Federico Marini; Randy Martin; Miguel Mellino;
>> Sandro Mezzadra; Eli Meyerhoff; Brett Neilson; Aihwa Ong;
>> Matteo Pasquinelli; Bojana Piskur; Carlos Prieto del
Campo; >> Nirmal Puwar; Gerald Raunig; Gigi Roggero; Andrew
Ross; Ned >> Rossiter; Davide Sacco; Ranabir Samaddar;
Florian Scheinder >>
> ; >Jon Solomon; Tiziana Terranova; Carlo Vercellone; Xiang
>
>> Biao.
>>

>> There are also a number of network participants who have
>> agreed to be part of the wider scientific committee for
the journal. >>
>> At present discussion on this list will be confined to
>> editorial board members only. If you have recently
> consulted >the edu-factory website you will be aware that
there has >been > quite a bit of activity in the network
recently. Some >of this has been > associated with the
publication of the >edu-factory book in Italian and > the
‘anomalous wave’ >movement against the Berlusconi >
government’s reforms to >the Italian education system. But
the scope of the > >edu-factory project has always been
transnational. Part of >the purpose > of starting a journal
is to reconfirm the >project’s engagement with > political
concerns that extend >beyond those of the ESC Social Center
in > Rome where >edu-factory was begun. We are hoping you
can > contribute to >this process of opening, which should
eventually see a > >recomposition of the edu-factory
collective. Other steps in >this process > will be the
English language publication of the >edu-factory book by >
Autonomedia > in 2009, the participation >of edu-factory in
the Winter Camp event > organized by the >Institute of
Network Cultures in Amsterdam (2-8 March > 2009), >and the
reopening of the > edu-factory mailing list. >
>> In this email we outline five issues on which we would
like >> to seek your advice and ideas:

>> 1.    Title of journal
>> 2.    Structure
>> 3.    Software
>> 4.    Zero issue
>> 5.    Quality control
>>

>> 1. There has already been some discussion in the
>>
> edu-factory >collective regarding the title of the
journal. We thought it > >would be good to stick with a
relatively neutral name that >recalls the > edu-factory
project and to give a sense of the >political orientation of
> the journal in the subtitle. The >current proposal is: >>
>>
>> Edu-Notes: Universities, Conflicts, and the Production of
>> Knowledge
>>

>> We invite your discussion of this title and welcome any
>> suggestions you may have for alternative names for the
journal. >>

>> 2. We suggest a three fold structure for each issue of
the >> journal:

>> i)    Theoretical materials: these will be scientific
> articles >of 5000-7000 words in length
>> ii)    Political materials: these will be shorter reports
analyzing >> conflicts in the production of knowledge and
university transformations >> in various global contexts
iii)    Book reviews: a reviews editor will >> be appointed
to manage liaison between authors, publishers, and >>
reviewers >>
>> Please let us know what you think. We imagine that the
>> journal would produce two issues a year, although some
members of the >> editorial board have already suggested we
should not follow the >> classical model of issues but have
a rolling structure where materials >> are published as they
become available. >>
>> 3. We suggest to proceed with a web journal reserving the
>> possibility to periodically publish some chosen
contributions in a hard >> copy reader (the contacts
established during the publication of the >> edu-factory
book can prove useful in this regard). Clearly there needs
>> to be some central management system to organize the
process and avoid >> the generation of massive amounts of
email. Perhaps some of you are able >> to make suggestions
about open source software, servers, etc. that could >> be
used for this > purpose. >We will need a CMS flexible enough
to handle the review >process > we propose to discuss below.

>> 4. To begin the journal we propose to proceed with the
>> production of a zero issue to be published in the
northern hemisphere >> summer of 2009. The suggested theme
for this issue is ‘The Double Crisis >> of the University
and the Financial System’. Please let us know if you >>
have
suggestions for people who could make contributions on this
theme. >> We also welcome your input to the drafting of a
call >> for papers.

>> 5. Given the political orientation of the edu-factory
>> project there has been rigorous debate about quality
> control >for the journal. We propose to separate the issue
of quality > >from the system of measure established through
the >conventional academic > system of anonymous peer
review. There >have been a number of suggestions > about how
this might be >achieved: from having a peer review system
that > is not >anonymous to utilizing the edu-factory list.
In any case, >the > journal should have a strong quality
control system. >This is an issue > that open access
publishing projects have >handled in different ways. For >
us the challenge is to invent >a new system of review that
opens conflict > over the meanings >and hierarchies
established by the usual system. > >> We invite you to share
your ideas about these matters with >> the other members of
the editorial board on this list. >>
>> Edu-factory collective

>> > rg
>
> --
> Augusto Illuminati
> v. Appennini 53, 00198 Roma cell. 335-5621228       tel.
06-8415494 >