<agu> Fwd: Re: editorial board list opening

info at edu-factory.org info at edu-factory.org
Sun Dec 21 17:49:25 CET 2008

----- Messaggio Inoltrato  -----
Da : Augusto Illuminati <augusto.illuminati at fastwebnet.it>
A : "info at edu-factory.org" <info at edu-factory.org>
Oggetto : Re: <agu> editorial board list opening
Data : Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:17:27 +0100

1, I agree
2. I agree, suggesting a rolling structure
3. Ok
4. Ok, but why crisis only of the Financial System? I would
prefer a  more extensive definition, perhaps economic crisis
or world crisis 5. A not-anonymous peer review system

Augusto Illuminati

>Dear all,
>
>Thanks for agreeing to participate in the editorial board
of >the new journal stemming from the edu-factory project.
We >have added you to this mailing list, which we hope to
use to >discuss the directions of the journal as well as the
>practical concerns involved in its production. Please let
us >know if you would prefer to communicate with the other
>members of the editorial board in another way.
>
>After a round of invitations sent to various participants
of >the edu-factory network, we have arrived at a
provisional >list of editorial board members:

>Marco Baravalle; Claudia Bernardi; Marc Bousquet; George
>Caffentzis; Simone Capra; Sandro Chignola; Anna Curcio;
>Alberto De Nicola; Paolo Do; Ludovica Fales; Silvia
>Federici; Gabriela Garcia; Ezequiel Gatto; Andrea Ghelfi;
>Gary Hall; Michael Hardt; Stefano Harney; Avinash Jha;
>Camillo Imperore; Augusto Illuminati; Gasper Kralj; Geert
>Lovink; Federico Marini; Randy Martin; Miguel Mellino;
>Sandro Mezzadra; Eli Meyerhoff; Brett Neilson; Aihwa Ong;
>Matteo Pasquinelli; Bojana Piskur; Carlos Prieto del Campo;
>Nirmal Puwar; Gerald Raunig; Gigi Roggero; Andrew Ross; Ned
>Rossiter; Davide Sacco; Ranabir Samaddar; Florian Scheinder
; >Jon Solomon; Tiziana Terranova; Carlo Vercellone; Xiang
>Biao.
>
>There are also a number of network participants who have
>agreed to be part of the wider scientific committee for the
>journal.
>
>At present discussion on this list will be confined to
>editorial board members only. If you have recently
consulted >the edu-factory website you will be aware that
there has >been quite a bit of activity in the network
recently. Some >of this has been associated with the
publication of the >edu-factory book in Italian and the
‘anomalous wave’ >movement against the Berlusconi
government’s reforms to >the Italian education system. But
the scope of the >edu-factory project has always been
transnational. Part of >the purpose of starting a journal is
to reconfirm the >project’s engagement with political
concerns that extend >beyond those of the ESC Social Center
in Rome where >edu-factory was begun. We are hoping you can
contribute to >this process of opening, which should
eventually see a >recomposition of the edu-factory
collective. Other steps in >this process will be the English
language publication of the >edu-factory book by Autonomedia
in 2009, the participation >of edu-factory in the Winter
Camp event organized by the >Institute of Network Cultures
in Amsterdam (2-8 March 2009), >and the reopening of the
edu-factory mailing list. >
>In this email we outline five issues on which we would like
>to seek your advice and ideas:
>
>1.    Title of journal
>2.    Structure
>3.    Software
>4.    Zero issue
>5.    Quality control
>

>1. There has already been some discussion in the
edu-factory >collective regarding the title of the journal.
We thought it >would be good to stick with a relatively
neutral name that >recalls the edu-factory project and to
give a sense of the >political orientation of the journal in
the subtitle. The >current proposal is:

>Edu-Notes: Universities, Conflicts, and the Production of
>Knowledge
>
>We invite your discussion of this title and welcome any
>suggestions you may have for alternative names for the
>journal.
>

>2. We suggest a three fold structure for each issue of the
>journal:
>
>i)    Theoretical materials: these will be scientific
articles >of 5000-7000 words in length
>ii)    Political materials: these will be shorter reports
>analyzing conflicts in the production of knowledge and
>university transformations in various global contexts
>iii)    Book reviews: a reviews editor will be appointed to
>manage liaison between authors, publishers, and reviewers
>
>Please let us know what you think. We imagine that the
>journal would produce two issues a year, although some
>members of the editorial board have already suggested we
>should not follow the classical model of issues but have a
>rolling structure where materials are published as they
>become available.
>
>3. We suggest to proceed with a web journal reserving the
>possibility to periodically publish some chosen
>contributions in a hard copy reader (the contacts
>established during the publication of the edu-factory book
>can prove useful in this regard). Clearly there needs to be
>some central management system to organize the process and
>avoid the generation of massive amounts of email. Perhaps
>some of you are able to make suggestions about open source
>software, servers, etc. that could be used for this
purpose. >We will need a CMS flexible enough to handle the
review >process we propose to discuss below.

>4. To begin the journal we propose to proceed with the
>production of a zero issue to be published in the northern
>hemisphere summer of 2009. The suggested theme for this
>issue is ‘The Double Crisis of the University and the
>Financial System’. Please let us know if you have
>suggestions for people who could make contributions on this
>theme. We also welcome your input to the drafting of a call
>for papers.
>
>5. Given the political orientation of the edu-factory
>project there has been rigorous debate about quality
control >for the journal. We propose to separate the issue
of quality >from the system of measure established through
the >conventional academic system of anonymous peer review.
There >have been a number of suggestions about how this
might be >achieved: from having a peer review system that is
not >anonymous to utilizing the edu-factory list. In any
case, >the journal should have a strong quality control
system. >This is an issue that open access publishing
projects have >handled in different ways. For us the
challenge is to invent >a new system of review that opens
conflict over the meanings >and hierarchies established by
the usual system. >
>We invite you to share your ideas about these matters with
>the other members of the editorial board on this list.
>
>Edu-factory collective

rg

--
Augusto Illuminati