<agu> editorial board list opening

Ned Rossiter ned at nedrossiter.org
Tue Dec 23 06:49:35 CET 2008

Scanning through the editorial board members, I see impressive names
situated for the most part within university settings (some even in
very prestigious institutions).  Non-university affiliated board
members that I recognise are renowned for their symbolic power within
the institution of activism. Like many journals, the list of
editorial board members lends a discursive/symbolic/institutional
legitimacy to the journal.  One of the key mechanisms through which
such legitimacy is obtained for individual board members, which then
flows over to the edu-factory journal, is blind peer review. Herein
lies a contradiction between the assembly of authority registered in
the list of editorial members and the journal's desire to 'to invent
a new system of review that opens conflict over the meanings and
hierarchies established by the usual system'.  The edu-collective's
reference to 'scientific articles' further signals this condition of
contradiction and problematic of translation.

My experience with new systems of review is that they might be
situated within national academic systems/frames that do not
translate terribly well into a global / universal context -- e.g. an
open review process on a mailing list might work in one national
context that requires 'conference proceedings' to be peer reviewed,
but does not specify they are blind peer reviewed; this then enables
mostly academic contributors to get their brownie points while
allowing a new form -- a hack -- to proceed on the other.  Such forms
of 'open review'/intervention are fine if the majority of
contributors within a particular national setting are able to claim
their texts as legitimate academic publications (and in so doing,
shore up protection of their academic positions and livelihoods), but
it's a pain in the arse for those academics not able to claim the
publication as 'legitimate' (and also the editors who have to put up
with repeated emails requesting clarification, support,
verification,etc.) Such tensions in translation underscore part of
the interests, as I see them, of this new journal. But I don't think
it's in the interests of the journal to have an uneven process of
review, however it's done.

As for quality control -- open reviewing does not, in my experience,
result in particularly strong critique. There's a tendency for
reviewers to be excessively polite and critically timid - most likely
because their cover is blown - or to treat the review with as much
attention as a regular pithy reply to an email.  On the whole, I'd
have to say that the more scholarly/academic texts I've written or co-
written have improved considerably when they've been subject to
strong critique. But I would distinguish two forms of critique here:
critique on mailing lists has proved enormously helpful to the
process of producing a text, but it has tended to be blind review
that has provided the deep critique of a 'final version' that has
then lifted the text to another level of 'completion'.

So, I'd be inclined to run a kind of dual or parallel system --
encourage potential journal contributors to post drafts to the list
for initial critique & open lines of debate, formation &
investigation for the network, then subject final texts to blind
review.  An 'open' system of publishing texts without blind review
could work through the format of the 'shorter reports'/political
commentary suggested in the 'three-fold structure'.

There are a number of examples of open content publishing that adopt
blind review and publish excellent work: ephemera, culture-machine,
fibreculture journal. All of these journals, in my view, could
benefit from a more 2.0 style of publishing, where a continuum of
feedback flows back into constitution of their networks.

At the level of 'intervention', I think it's examples such as the
journals listed above that challenge practices of publishing in
higher-ed. There are other examples of publishing with no peer review
-- the annual anthologies of Sarai come to mind -- that produce
fascinating/interesting compilations of texts (some of which are
previously published), but are largely considered thoroughly
'outside' the 'usual system'. In other words, a publishing venture
that seeks to disrupt the usual system needs to be partially
recognised by the usual system, otherwise it is destined to remain on
the 'outside' and is in danger of self-ghettoization and self-
affirmation.  There is no 'conflict' without an adversary (though
there is plenty of space for self-agonising).

I also think the edu-factory/journal needs to elaborate more clearly
its predisposition toward conflictual constitution. These are terms
that again are part of a self-referential intellectual/political
idiom, and don't translate very well beyond those already
participating in such practices/discourses -- i.e. the question of
intervention reappears when the terms of engagement are not
recognised by others.  Some kind of mission statement or glossary of
terms (which could be interesting to collectively produce in an open
fashion) might be useful here on the history and trajectories of
conflictual constitution.

Ned