<CPOV> Wikipedia and I

Dror Kamir dqamir at bezeqint.net
Tue Apr 13 19:18:43 CEST 2010

Hi,

First of all, an apology - ever since I came back from Bangalore I've
been overloaded with work and projects, and didn't have enough time to
follow the CPOV events and mailing list. I truly regret that, and I hope
it'll change in the near future. Having said that, I can't avoid using
this mailing list today, since I arose the curiosity of some of you,
when I published a call to boycott Wikipedia on FaceBook (a personal
call, I should emphasize, before my colleagues at Wikimedia Israel eat
me alive). I published some explanations to my friends there, but they
were in Hebrew, so they weren't very useful to most of you. Last remark
before telling the story - I have been so much involved in Wikipedia and
Wikipedia-related projects, that I've become quite emotional about them.
To those of you who see Wikipedia as a subject of research, it might
seem strange, and I can't blame them for that :-)

Several months ago I returned to the English Wikipedia and looked again
at articles related to the Middle East. I think it was part of my
preparations to the Bangalore conference, but I'm not sure this was the
trigger. This way or another, I found out that there was a strange
pattern of edits in articles such as "Israel", "State of Palestine",
"Palestinian territories" and other related articles. There was a group
of editors who persistently and quite forcefully introduced a political
thesis into the aforementioned articles. There were several
characteristics for these edits:

1. Excessive use of the name Palestine, while blurring the distinction
among its various meanings. In many articles, it has become unclear
whether the name Palestine refers to a geographical region, to a
historical political entity, to a future state, to the Palestinian
Authority and so forth.

2. Excessive use of terms like "occupied", e.g. in the article about the
Golan Heights or the Palestinian territories, where previously it was
agreed to use more neutral terms like "controlled". That was not merely
a change of term, but also overuse of this term over and over again.

3. Describing the State of Palestine as a fact on the ground and drawing
a straight line between the British Mandate of Palestine and the Arab
State of Palestine. The idea is basically to instill the notion as if
Israel was just a temporary stage in the history of the region, while
the "real" State of Palestine that existed in the past was about to
reemerge.

Politically-wise, this is a sensitive time in this ongoing Middle East
conflict. The Palestinian Authority appealed to the International Court
of Justice asking for recognition as a state so it could formally accuse
Israel in conducting war crimes. In the UK the pro-Palestinian
organizations calling to boycott Israel are more active than ever. For
my naked eyes, it seems too much like an anti-Israeli campaign of a
group of Europe-based Palestinians or pro-Palestinians. On Wikimedia
Commons, BTW, I already had some fierce battles with pro-Palestinian
editors who tried to upload problematic fiels and hinder projects of
Wikimedia Israel.

I won't get into the political discussion that evolved between me and
this group, and I beg you not to assess my judgment regarding the
editors' motives or the legitimacy of their edits.  In fact, this is the
minor issue here. What really bugs me is what I found out about the way
Wikipedia is currently working.

1. The English Wikipedia developed a judicial system. There are laws and
tribunals, but they act in a way would amaze even Kafka. There is a
decision by the Arbitrary Committee that any editor who makes
problematic edits to ME-related articles would be banned from making
further edits about the subject. While the Arbitrary Committee meant
well, in practice it means that every admin can ban an editor. Wikipedia
cherishes anonymity. It is very hard to understand who complained about
you, what his motives are, and why his complained was endorsed by the
certain admin. Asking to lift the ban requires a long bureaucratic process.

2. If one dares to complain about another editor, he might find the
accusations turned around at him. Basically it is all about forming
cliques. I you have your clique, you are quite immunized, and you can
even revert accusations and penalties to those who accuse you.

The whole treatment of content has become very bureaucratic and
imbalanced. The idea that information should be sources has been brought
to absurd. Practically anything is regarded as reliable if you can bring
a name of an article that says so. I often pointed out to serious
problems in the logics of a certain articles, and was answered that I
have to bring articles that state otherwise in order to make my claims
valid. When I brought such articles, I was often answered that my source
was not serious enough, too pro-Israeli, a primary source while WP
favors secondary sources and so forth. I often found myself in a strange
position where I could not argue with a person, because I did not have
access to the book he mentioned.

Actually WP has abandoned most of its primary values - it is no longer
open to all. One must have an access to big academic libraries, be very
skilled in conducting debates and have huge amount of time to conduct
them. NPOV and No Original Research have become idle principle.
Practically any problematic term or theory can be used, as long as you
can find some source and interpret it in a way that would enable you to
present it as a previously uttered idea. The idea of reaching
informative articles through confluence of information and exchange of
views has failed. It is all about imposing one's view. The person who
imposes his view successfully is the one who has better relations with
the judges, namely the admins.

Okay, I think I wrote quite a lot, and used quite harsh words (I warned
you about my emotionality). I'd be happy to hear some relaxed wise
comments and insights.

Best wishes,
Dror