<CPOV> BBC Arabic report about the Middle East conflict and Wikipedia

Dror Kamir dqamir at bezeqint.net
Wed Dec 1 22:03:29 CET 2010

A follow up on this -

I added English subtitles -
http://yt-subs.appspot.com/view?video=agd5dC1zdWJzcg4LEgVWaWRlbxids90BDA

After listening carefully to the whole report in order to translate it,
I should say that the picture arising from this report is rather
distorted. It might be interesting to speculate why it is so. While the
content of the report is not going to bring any of you new information,
we might want to figure out why the overall impression that derives from
this report is somewhat peculiar. First of all, such a report in
English, German, French, Swedish, Hebrew or Persian would be discarded
as "old news". It gives very basic description of the Web 2.0
phenomenon, but apparently such a description is still relevant to many
Arabic-speaking viewers.

The reporter is also rather concerned about who wins the "war", while
bypassing  the issue of how information should be conveyed. The dialog
with the Huffington Post reporter also concentrate on the issue of how
we Arabs should win this "war", rather than asking how Arabs can benefit
from the fact that they can access information from various sources in
various languages, and whether the public opinion within the Arab world
can or should change owing to that.

The Palestinian blogger also talks about the problem of poor English,
rather than asking how the information available in Arabic can be
improved. I think the inferiority the Palestinian blogger talks about is
not technological or linguistic. I think it is a feeling of inferiority
that drives many Arabs into concentrating on their image and on pushing
their narrative in the global scene, rather than to harness the new
technology for the benefit of their own society.

This "complex" is also found in the Israeli society but to a lesser
extent, at least to my objectivenessly-challenged judgment.

Dror

בתאריך 30/11/10 15:15, ציטוט Jodi Schneider: