<CPOV> CPOV on Wikipedia Signpost

paolo massa paolo at gnuband.org
Fri Dec 10 08:52:41 CET 2010

It seems they have tested different banners (at least 4 in various
different wikipedias) and Jimbo face was the most successful in term
of money flowing in.
See completa data at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Banner_testing

Of course you can always say that the other 3 (losing) banners were
designed to be real losers ... ;)

P.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Dror Kamir <dqamir at bezeqint.net> wrote:
> Well, the WMF needs money, and Jimmy Wales' picture brings money. I believe
> this is where it starts and this is where it ends. It is a bit of a problem
> that Jimmy Wales has become "the face of Wikipedia", but it is hard to argue
> with financial figures. I personally feel a bit uncomfortable with the call
> to donate to Wikipedia, while in fact, this is a donation to the Wikimedia
> Foundation and its chapters. Part of the money goes indeed to the logistic
> infrastructure of Wikipedia, but quite a lot of it to other projects whose
> relation to Wikipedia is somewhat vague (though they are important in their
> own right). I also feel that the WMF alienate itself from Wikipedia,
> claiming that the project runs by itself without any need for intervention
> (I disagree with this claim), but when it comes to fundraising campaign, WMF
> is presented as Wikipedia.
>
> Dror
>
> בתאריך 02/12/10 16:03, ציטוט Geert Lovink:
>>
>> Talkin' about becoming critical and the different ways one can
>> practice it.... how about the current donation campaign?
>>
>> On Dave Winer's scripting.com blog
>>
>> http://scripting.com/stories/2010/11/29/jimmyWalesDayOnTheInternet.html
>>
>> Gregory Kohns writes:
>>
>> "I wonder when the news media will figure out that the Wikimedia
>> Foundation spends on program services only 41 cents of every dollar
>> they scam from donors, which earns them ONE STAR (out of four!) from
>> Charity Navigator in organizational efficiency. In fact, their KPMG
>> audit discovered that it only takes about $2.5 million to keep the
>> servers running, provide ample bandwidth, and staff a team of code
>> developers to keep things running smoothly. Why, then, is the ask for
>> $20 million?
>>
>> I also wonder why the news media never thought to cover the 2009 story
>> of how the Wikimedia Foundation needed extra office space, and as if
>> by magic, they hand-picked Jimmy Wales' for-profit corporation to be
>> their landlord, THEN obtained competitive bids, THEN asked Wales'
>> for-profit company to match the average of the competitive bids.
>>
>> I too wonder why the media don't seem to care that the 2010 market
>> research study of past Wikimedia Foundation donors was awarded to the
>> former employer of the WMF staffer running the project, without any
>> competitive bidding whatsoever. And when the Executive Director of the
>> Wikimedia Foundation was asked how much the project cost, the guy
>> asking the question was banned from the online discussion."

Paolo Massa
Email: paolo AT gnuband DOT org
Blog: http://gnuband.org