<CPOV> CPOV on Wikipedia Signpost

Dror Kamir dqamir at bezeqint.net
Thu Dec 2 23:35:14 CET 2010

Well, the WMF needs money, and Jimmy Wales' picture brings money. I
believe this is where it starts and this is where it ends. It is a bit
of a problem that Jimmy Wales has become "the face of Wikipedia", but it
is hard to argue with financial figures. I personally feel a bit
uncomfortable with the call to donate to Wikipedia, while in fact, this
is a donation to the Wikimedia Foundation and its chapters. Part of the
money goes indeed to the logistic infrastructure of Wikipedia, but quite
a lot of it to other projects whose relation to Wikipedia is somewhat
vague (though they are important in their own right). I also feel that
the WMF alienate itself from Wikipedia, claiming that the project runs
by itself without any need for intervention (I disagree with this
claim), but when it comes to fundraising campaign, WMF is presented as
Wikipedia.

Dror

בתאריך 02/12/10 16:03, ציטוט Geert Lovink: