<CPOV> The Wikipedia Cult

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 3 18:05:20 CEST 2010

One way in which WP might be seen to operate as a cult is in fact common to other online projects (such as free software): it was explicitly set up against a certain way of producing code / culture, i.e. proprietary businesses, such as Britannica etc. So there are enemies which help negatively structure the project. The difference with WP (I think I wrote this a month ago on this very list, could be wrong) is that there anonymity leads to vandalism or manipulation leads to a siege mentality leads to heavy-handed policing leads to cases of injustice or abuses of authority by cliques etc leads to apostates (?) who leave and denounce the project. Plus, there is a charismatic leader who wields enormous power... At the same time I don't know that there is a really coherent belief system shared by members of the so-called Cabal other than to Protect the Project from Evildoers... so not sure if the term "cult" is appropriate as a coherent shared belief system would seem like a pretty necessary element of a cult...
cheers
Mathieu