<CPOV> The notion that Wikipedia will always be top dog

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 05:09:54 CEST 2010

andrew.famiglietti at lcc.gatech.edu said:

It is unlikely that these forks of Wikipedia will ever attract
significant traffic. Larry Sanger's Citizendium, a fairly
well-established parallel encyclopedia project, is ranked by Alexa as
the 48,837th most visited website. Wikipedia is the 6th most visited
website. Enciclopedia Libre Universal (EL), the product of the famous
Spanish Fork of 2002, was outstripped in article production by the
Spanish Wikipedia as of 2004. Wikipedia is in the top ten most visited
websites in Mexico, Colombia, and Spain. EL does not appear in Alexa
listings for the top 100 most visited Websites for these countries.
Without traffic, a volunteer based project cannot attract volunteer
labor, and thus cannot add and revise content. I wouldn't worry about
fragmentation.

+++++++

Back when I was done with graduate school and beginning to land my
first $50,000 marketing research projects, I remember when 90% of
online search was dominated by three sites.  No, not Google and Yahoo
and Bing.  Sites called AltaVista and WebCrawler and Lycos.

Are you certain, absolutely certain, that Wikipedia will rule the
Internet encyclopedia biz in 10 years' time?

Greg