<CPOV> What's Up the Sleeve of the Invisible Hand?

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Tue Jun 15 15:00:06 CEST 2010

CPOVers,

Let me pick up another "fast and loose" thread in Nate's last post.

It's a natural human tendency, when faced with overwhelming complexity,
to wish it all away with some radically simplifying belief or mythology.
That would be my guess as to why the Myth of the Invisible Hand is every
bit as popular on the Internet today as Jolly Old Saint Nick and visions
of sugar-plums <feel free to insert your local color here> are in the
fantasies of pre-critical children.

That is probably why variations on the theme of Adam Smith's "Invisible Hand"
are such frequent topics of discussion at The Wikipedia Review.  Against that
backdrop I personally find that the best resource for trying to understand the
conversion of ethical motives into economic motors lies in the work of Max Weber,
beginning with his analysis in ''The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism''.

Here's one more or less recent thread at WR:

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=23108

Jon Awbrey

--

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/