<CPOV> The notion that Wikipedia will always be top dog

Famiglietti, Andrew F andrew.famiglietti at lcc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 15 16:34:38 CEST 2010

Everyone,

It is, of course, difficult to make predictions, especially about the future. It isn't impossible that a new project could garner serious attention and unseat the Wikipedia juggernaut. Certainly it is true that the Internet landscape has seen some radical changes in the past. I actually have a notion that we may have entered a relatively more stable period in which big players will remain big over relatively long spans of time. I can't prove that, though, just a hunch (mostly based on the seeming stability of Google over the last 10 years).

All that said, I don't think things look good for Ilmpedia. They've decided to start their project in both English and Arabic, so they will be confronting the goliath of the English Wikipedia directly (an Arabic-only fork would only directly challenge the less established Arabic Wikipedia and, like the Spanish Fork before it, might gain some traction). A previous ideological fork of the English Wikipedia, Conservapedia, which had the benefits of a relatively privileged community of interest, the involvement of high-profile activist Andrew Schafly and the attendant free media attention that entailed remains a marginal (very low google visibility and traffic), but active project. As of right now, the Ilmpedia project's wiki page does indeed list about 100 registered users, but many of these users haven't even completed user pages, and a check of a few random contributor logs shows that many have no edits at all. Some pages show clear and unreverted link-spam, a bad sign for the health of a wiki. It is still very early, of course, and all that will probably change and improve as the project gets organized. The press release said they would be available in July, after all.

I suspect Ilmpedia will, like Conservapedia before it, go on to become a successful but marginal project. I'm not dismissing these projects, the margins are important! However, I do think this suggests that the alleged "fragmentation" of the media space Sunstein et. al. fretted about is not, in fact, under way. Instead we see a pattern of very large, central sites of information production and distribution surrounded by marginal media, just as we did in the mass media era (Xerox produced Zines anyone?).

- Andy

PS: Dror, I have to ask, was your Wikipedia user id DrorK?