<CPOV> Wikipedia as an Alternative United Nations-Like Forum

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Sun Jun 20 07:00:08 CEST 2010

Andy, Greg, & All ...

Actually, I wasn't thinking so much of people who use alternate accounts
to carry out legitimate editing activities -- after all, one of the most
highly touted maxims of the original wiki philosophy was often expressed
as "Mind the Edits, Not the Editor", and Wikipedians still piously, if a
bit Heapishly, echo those words even today.  Nor was I thinking of folks
who use their transient socks for nothing more serious than tweaking the
noses of Wikipedian power-mongers -- after all, I know few people who so
richly deserve to have their Wiki-Probosci rejointed.

No, I was thinking of people who use massive sock drawers to conduct
concerted, longterm campaigns of media distortion -- and what medium
is so well-tailored for ease of distortion as Wikipedia?  Few indeed.

Cases like Gary Weiss, I guess.  But there I am already out of my depth,
as it takes a real forensic investigator to unravel socks of that order.

Jon Awbrey

--

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey