<CPOV> fm: Beyond the legacy of the Enlightenment?

andrew.famiglietti at lcc.gatech.edu andrew.famiglietti at lcc.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 17 13:28:20 CET 2010

Everyone,

I actually blogged about this same idea awhile ago here: http://blogs.bgsu.edu/afamigl/2009/03/26/tasty-theory-clusters/

The thoughts in that blog post were drawn from an early draft of my dissertation, however I ultimately abandoned the notion of "Wikipedia as Heterotopia" because I found it unhelpful. After reading this article, I remain confident that I made the right decision. It's true that Wikipedia, like Borges' mythical Chinese Encyclopedia, brings together many unfamiliar elements, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_with_fraudulent_diplomas to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicron, but I'm not sure how the Heterotopia helps us understand the particular construction that is Wikipedia (and Foucault himself insists that Hereotopias are specific constructions!). Why does Wikipedia associate the particular elements that it does? Why are other things left out? Can we discover some contours to the content left behind by the endless clash of the drives to archive and the drive to erase that are embodied by those two great camps, the inclusionists and the deletionists?

I'm still trying to answer those questions, and I'm already getting some helpful insights from participating on this list! I'm just not sure how helpful it is to define Wikipedia as "Heterotopia," even though I think it clearly fits this definition.

- Andy