<CPOV> Community run or royal decree?

Joseph Reagle joseph.nyu at reagle.org
Tue May 4 18:15:32 CEST 2010

On Tuesday, May 04, 2010, Jon Awbrey wrote:
> Au contraire, Mister Kohs, we have this academic article testifying to the fact,
> I say {{fact}}, that Wikipedia Gubermince is more and more decentralized every day.

It's a question of context, it is decentralized relative to Sanger/Wales in 2001. There's now a Board, which has grown, ArbCom, with subcommittees, etc. This study and others concerned with governance tend to look this Weberian transition from personal/charismatic authority to bureaucratic authority. Community governance and "royal decree" is a model I've described here:
  http://reagle.org/joseph/2007/10/Wikipedia-Authorial-Leadership.pdf