<CPOV> The World According to Jimmy Wales?

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Tue May 25 04:45:12 CEST 2010

Nathaniel,

Maja initiated a thread titled "The World According to Jimmy Wales" and
quoted several statements by Jimmy Wales, concluding with the question,
"Is it his ignorance or is Wales purposely creating a world in which
he/Wikipedia can be the saviour?"

Mr. Wales proclaims himself the "spiritual leader" of Wikipedia
and persists in having a major impact on its course and character.
After five years of experience tracking the statements of Mr. Wales
and discussing them with other experienced editors and users, I think
I can safely make certain generalizations about their consistency and
credibility.  I gave my considered impressions in the context of the
thread already underway.

I am not all that interested in individual agents, as a rule, not even
self-proclaimed "spiritual leaders", so I immediately detached one of
the more general themes that was suggested by Joseph Reagle's remarks.
I am more than happy to move on to that if anyone else is, but when
a compelling question of individual cases is raised I will probably
be compelled to say what I know about it.  Everyone is of course
free to gather their own experiences, because science, as we know
is based on reproducible experiences.

Jon Awbrey

--

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/