<CPOV> Judaism, bus-stops and the question of original research

Dror Kamir dqamir at bezeqint.net
Mon Oct 11 19:25:16 CEST 2010

Hi,

There is nothing new about this idea, but it is still well preformed
(just like Shakespeare can be performed on stage over and over again, as
long as it is done in an impressive way :-) ).

This article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism_and_bus_stops
(naturally nominated for deletion) is an attempt to prove that
well-phrased well-sourced article can be written about any subject.

Wikipedia has a rule of "no synthesis", namely that creating a theory by
combining existing well-established theories or fragments of theories is
considered "original research", hence forbidden. However, this article
shows quite nicely that this rule is very hard to implement, since
novelty (or in this case, absurd) can be spotted only if one has strong
intuition about its inconsistency with contemporary common knowledge.
Actually, this article begs the conclusion that original research is
like pornography - we cannot define it, but we know it when we see it,
if our minds are conformed with the mainstream of cultural behavior. But
please resist the begging and tell me if you think there are other
conclusions :-)

Dror

PS - Where I live, whenever someone bring a pompous yet totally
pointless topic for discussion, there goes the saying, "We might as well
talk about 'The Elephant and the Jewish Question'". I had to bring some
elephant into the picture...