<CPOV> image filter referendum

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 22 00:43:07 CEST 2011

http://news.slashdot.org/story/11/08/19/1236235/Wikipedia-May-Censor-Images

"To appease 'morality' watchdogs, Wikipedia is contemplating the
introduction of a censorship feature, where images would be flagged
for containing sexual references, nudity, 'mass graves,' and so on. At
least in the initial implementation, it is supposed to be 'opt-in.'
However, with such precedents as the UK censoring artistic nudity,
Turkey censoring references to the Armenian genocide or China's stance
on information about the Tiananmen massacre (note that any sensitive
photos, like the Tank Man, are already absent!), I find it quite hard
to believe this feature won't be mandatory for some groups of readers
— whether it's thanks to an oppressive government, an ISP or a school."

Begin forwarded message: