<CPOV> image filter referendum

nathaniel tkacz nathanieltkacz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 04:37:04 CEST 2011

these developments are very interesting. it seems a lot must have changed
for this to become a possibility. both johanna and i have written about
censorship in relation to religious images and in my own explorations the
"wikipedia is not censored" rhetoric was very strong, defeating those who
suggested other options - including a technical opt-out function.

the argument in favour of opt-out (or in?) censorship seems to have changed
now. the logic has moved from a "cultural sensitivity" argument (which
failed) to a market based one (i'm tempted to say neo-liberal): "The feature
is intended to benefit readers by offering them more choice".

i wonder if the irresistible logic of choice will win out.

Nate Tkacz

ARC Research Associate
Genealogies of Digital Light
The University of Melbourne