<CPOV> New book "The Digital Potlatch"

Felipe Ortega jfelipe at libresoft.es
Tue Sep 20 17:31:11 CEST 2011

Hi CPOViewers.

I hope this message is not considered as blatant self-promo. I just think it
could be of interest for some of you.

I've just published a new book about Wikipedia, with Joaquín Rodríguez (vice-
dean of EOI, and PhD. in Social Anthropology).

The title is "El Potlatch Digital: Wikipedia y el Triunfo del Procomún y el
Conocimiento Compartido", which translates (approx.) to: "The Digital
Potlatch: Wikipedia and the Triumph of Commons and Shared Knowledge".

The book is an interesting exercise of mixing a sociological and qualitative
perspective (from Joaquín) with an empirical and quantitative approach (my
own) to further investigate the motivations driving the work of Wikipedia
editors. The book borrows the well-known case (in Social Sciences) of the
Native American "Potlatch" to illustrate the importance of meritocracy and
effort recognition in the editorial process.

You can fin additional info in this post:

http://blog.felipeortega.net/?p=304&preview=true

Unfortunately, I know that many of you can't read Spanish. The book has been
written in Spanish since we believed that it was necessary to balance the lack
of books about Wikipedia in our native language. In any case, we'd be more
than happy to find some help for an English version in the future :)

Feel free to send me any questions or comments (or help offers ;) ) about it.

Best,
Felipe

--
José Felipe Ortega Soto       | Researcher & Project Manager
                              | GSyC/Libresoft - U. Rey Juan Carlos
Twitter/Identi.ca: @jfelipe   | Library Building - Office B-003
http://libresoft.es/          | Camino del Molino s/n.28943 Fuenlabrada.
Madrid